X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic gradle build of trunk failing

F'in ridiculous that developers have to download an entire git project and build from code just to run a demo. The purpose of a demo is to have a convenient way to guage whether the product meets the consumer's criteria. I understand the need to keep distributions small-- but you don't have to bundle them in the product distribution. What is so difficult about setting up a scheduled job to regularly build the sample war files and overwrite the latest copy in a download directory. FS usage is negligible for only keeping the last successfully built wars. I can provide the download site if Spring Source doesn't have a couple MB.

"gradle build" (exactly according to the "Building Spring Security" instructions) output:
    Code:
    FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
    Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':runtime':
        - unresolved dependency: org.objectweb.asm#com.springsource.org.objectweb.asm;3.1.0: not found
        - unresolved dependency: org.objectweb.asm#com.springsource.org.objectweb.asm.tree;3.1.0: not found
        - unresolved dependency: org.objectweb.asm#com.springsource.org.objectweb.asm.commons;3.1.0: not found

In the future I would like to encourage you to attempt to word your criticism in a little more constructive fashion; it tends to get better results for both sides. All of this aside, I would like to ensure that Spring Security is as good as it can be and ensure you get things working.

As mentioned in the samples documentation you can also download the already built sample applications from maven. As far as including the other samples within the original download, I'm not sure that will change. Perhaps we can make it easier to find the downloads for the samples within a maven repository.

The reason that obtaining the source is the preferred way is it is intended to make running the samples easier. This can be achieved by using git or by using Gitorious to download the code as an archive. Perhaps we can make this more apparent in the reference as it is in the build from source section. The reason we feel it is easier to checkout the source is that gradle can setup a cas server and the cas client using https without any need to understand cas, setting up ssl, or Spring Security (you can blindly type in a command to start everything). The other examples should be similar and ideally this would all just work. It seems like you are having some problems with that.

Can you please provide detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem, any environment information (i.e. Windows 7, Java 6, etc), and the commit you were using (git log HEAD)? Doing so would allow me to investigate why you were having this issue and resolve it.

Cheers,

Comment

Thanks for the reply Rob.

All useful information, including the request for more constructive framing.

On 32 bit XP Pro 5.1 SP3.

Cloned trunk and did "gradlew build" from work area root directory. <== Note correction here

Though I'm very ignorant about Gradle, based on experience with similar tools and Gradle's aspirations for portability (and the likelihood that Gradle is pure Java), I expect the same results on any platform, but as soon as I can I will see if I get same results on Linux 64 and SPARC Solaris. That would be 8 hours from now at the earliest.

POSTNOTE: No proxy server involved.
      Last edited by blaine; Mar 11th, 2011, 05:12 PM. Reason: Added missing letter to report of what I did

Comment

You are correct that gradle should be build independent. However, I was not seeing the issue on my side and at times the OS can impact things (i.e. code problems with / vs \, spaces in paths, default encodings, etc). In short, I wanted to know all the information so I could try and reproduce it.

If you update with a git pull (or you can do a fresh clone) and then try to do a gradle build I believe it should work now. The issue appears to be with a repository that was not specified for the build so the dependency was not downloaded for anyone new, but it had been cached for those that use it often.

Let me know if your issue is fixed and thanks for your time to help make Spring Security better.

PS: Luke (the SS lead) came up with a good idea that can make it even easier to run most of the samples. I'm not sure how certain this is yet, but hopefully your feedback can make life easier for others.

Comment

Originally posted by rwinch View Post
          As mentioned in the samples documentation you can also download the already built sample applications from maven...
          That text is not in the Reference Guide that is distributed with 3.1.0RC1 and which I was working from. Must have been added very recently.
          Last edited by blaine; Mar 11th, 2011, 05:43 PM. Reason: Changed to bottom-post reply

Comment

Originally posted by rwinch View Post
            If you update with a git pull (or you can do a fresh clone) and then try to do a gradle build I believe it should work now. The issue appears to be with a repository that was not specified for the build so the dependency was not downloaded for anyone new, but it had been cached for those that use it often.

Let me know if your issue is fixed...
            I prefer git fetch + merge, after which the build works!

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X