X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot password (e.g. secret question) using Acegi

Is there any reason why the following functionality cannot be implemented using AbstractProcessingFilter?

Scenario: User can't remember password. User clicks Forgot Password. App prompts user with his registered secret question. User submits answer to secret question. Email gets sent to user. User clicks time-sensitive link in email to change password.

Since the answer to the secret question is as good as having the password associated with the user, why can't I use AbstractProcessingFilter as follows:

The AbstractProcessingFilter is launched when a URL is requested (that is different from the URL watched by the regular username/password processing filter i.e. AuthenticationProcessingFilter).

Filter extracts username and secret answer from request.

If unsuccessful, we go to failureUrl.

If successful, the overridden successfulAuthentication method does NOT put the authentication into the context. It skips that step. I read that a best practice is to not allow the user to change his password immediately after a successful secret question challenge. We just go to the defaultUrl (which says an email has been sent containing a link to reset the password, blah, blah, blah).

Thoughts?

Most forgotten password type use cases are implemented without modifying any Acegi Security code. The general approach is to write your own MVC controller that responds to the token emailed to the user, and after the token is validated from some database or hash-based system, guide the user through changing their password and then putting a new Authentication object inside SecurityContextHolder. You might like to consider 0.9.0 / CVS' Captcha support, which increases the robustness of the emailed tokens as it requires a human operator to be detected.

Comment

Working...
    X