X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Security now built with Gradle

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I just noticed Spring Security is now built with Gradle (maybe all of Spring is now?). I'm curious why Gradle was chosen over Maven...

I think Steve Ebersole's article is a pretty good summary.

Gradle is just better in so many ways. It has the advantage of being a "next generation" tool - incorporating the good things that Maven and Ant provide while learning from the inherent problems with them (and with none of the historical baggage). It gives you the best of both build-by-convention and the ability to script its elegant project model to get the job done.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Luke. Is the rest of Spring migrating or migrated to Gradle as well? I remember Spring Roo was designed with maven, is that changing or changed?

Comment

I can only speak for myself in choosing it as the best fit for the requirements in building and releasing Spring Security. There is no general policy in place. I started an experimental gradle build almost a year ago and maintained it until I was satisfied that it was the best choice and it was preferable to stop using Maven entirely.

Roo has other considerations in that it also generates build files for end users, most of whom are likely to be more familiar with Maven.

Comment

Maven enjoys much undeserved respect. It usually works great for end users once project managers have done all of the integration work. Any tool works for simple projects, and that is the only place where you can use Maven without major frustrations. Those of us who manage builds for complex projects every day are either Maven fanatics who spend an astounding amount of time figging with intricate details to get the most basic stuff working when Maven's master-of-the-world assumptions do not apply (directly contrary to the massive BS about Maven's versatility and ability to adapt); or they impatiently wait for the day when their projects move to a better designed product.

Maven is not, and has never been, stable + robust + low-maintenance from the perspective of the build integrator. It is, admittedly, very popular to the masses who don't know better, and it is easy to use for those who use, not maintain, the build system

Comment

Working...
          X