X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i18n && security => which best practice ?

Hi there

I've a little question for you : I'm writing an i18n application with the language chooser in my spring security form. This form is processed by a custom filter.
    I wish to set the locale at that time, but the two implementations I tried are useless, I explain under here

Case 1 : LocaleContextHolder
    Code:
    Locale locale = StringUtils.parseLocaleString(lang.toLowerCase());
    LocaleContextHolder.setLocale(locale);
    This just impacts nothing. No error is raised, but the locale set is not used.

Case 2 : LocaleResolver
    Code:
    Locale locale = StringUtils.parseLocaleString(lang.toLowerCase());
    LocaleResolver localeResolver = RequestContextUtils.getLocaleResolver(request);
    localeResolver.setLocale(request, response, locale);
    This raise a NullPointerException when trying to use the localeResolver, because it's null.

So, as a fix, in my filter, I put the locale in the session, and in my Spring Controller that is called just next the authentication, I read the locale, use the LocaleResolver and remove the locale from the session. This is a bit tricky, but this is working ...

Is there any easier way to set the Spring Locale in a Spring Security Filter (AbstractAuthenticationProcessingFilter) ?

You should be able to set the Locale using the LocaleContextHolder. Just be sure to clean it up afterwards by calling resetLocaleContext(). You can look at the RequestContextFilter from spring-web for an example.

I'm guessing the reason you may not be seeing any changes is if you do not have a messageSource defined in your web application (Spring Security implements MessageSourceAware). If you already have a messageSource add org.springframework.security.messages as a basename. If you do not have a messageSource yet you can use the following:

Code:
    <bean id="messageSource" class="org.springframework.security.core.SpringSecurityMessageSource"/>
    For more information look at the Spring Reference MessageSource and Spring MVC's Locale Support.

Comment

I do have a messagesource, and it's working perfectly in my Spring Controller ...
      It's configured like this :
      Code:
      	<!-- Spring MVC Controller -->
      	<bean id="myController" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.support.ControllerClassNameHandlerMapping">
      		<property name="order" value="1" />
      		<property name="defaultHandler">
      			<bean class="com.alea.server.controller.FrontController" ></bean>
      		</property>
      		<property name="interceptors">
      			<list>
      				<ref bean="localeChangeInterceptor" />
      		   	</list>
      		</property>
      	</bean>
      	<!-- Enable the locale System -->
      	<bean id="messageSource" class="org.springframework.context.support.ReloadableResourceBundleMessageSource">
        		<property name="basenames">
        			<list>
      				<value>/WEB-INF/i18n/messages</value>
      			</list>
      		</property>
      		<property name="defaultEncoding" value="ISO-8859-1" />
      		<property name="cacheSeconds" value="1" />
      	</bean>
      	<bean id="localeChangeInterceptor"  class="org.springframework.web.servlet.i18n.LocaleChangeInterceptor">
              <property name="paramName" value="language"/>
        	</bean>
      	<bean id="localeResolver" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.i18n.SessionLocaleResolver">
          	<property name="defaultLocale" value="en" />
          </bean>
      What I do not understand, is that, according to the documentation here http://static.springsource.org/sprin...l#localization nothing more has to be done ...

Comment

It doesn't say nothing more needs to be done - it says you should use the LocaleContextHolder and refers you to the Spring documentation for more information. You can either set this up yourself in a filter or use the support that Spring provides - e.g. RequestContextListener.

Spring Security's filters are invoked before your controllers, so the locale needs to be set before the filter chain is invoked - relying on Spring MVC isn't enough.

You'll find this has been discussed before so please search the forum.

Comment

Just as an FYI from the configuration posted, unless you have setup your own resource bundle for Spring Security's messages, you still need to add org/springframework/security/messages as a basename to the messageSource in addition to setting the Locale.

Comment

I've also opened an issue, SEC-1527, to add support to one of the sample apps to provide a reference configuration.

Comment

Working...
            X