Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why having CookieTheftException?

hello there
    iam using remember me service with data source reference
    it works fine for a very little time,but when i close the browser and try to come back after a period of time,i got this exception why?
    Invalid remember-me token (Series/token) mismatch. Implies previous cookie theft attack

What version of Spring Security, and where (and how) are your remember me tokens stored?

Comment

iam using spring 3
      and iam using remember me with Persistent Token Approach
      as follows:

Code:
      <http>
      <remember-me  token-repository-ref="tokenRepository"
               token-validity-seconds="1209600"/>
      </http>

<beans:bean id="tokenRepository" class="org.springframework.security.web.authentication.rememberme.JdbcTokenRepositoryImpl">
          <beans:property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource"/>
          </beans:bean>
      and i created the persistent_logins table in the database as follows:

Code:
      create table persistent_logins (username varchar(64) not null, series varchar(64) primary key, token varchar(64) not null, last_used timestamp not null)

Comment

What specific version of Spring Security, please? The early point releases had some issues with remember me, specifically 3.0.1.

Comment

version 3.0.0

Comment

You may be hitting SEC-1356, fixed in Spr Sec 3.0.2. Try upgrading and see what happens.

Comment

so i should upgrade to the last version and use the same code or it differs?

Comment

Same code.

Comment

i upgraded to the last version(in the pom.xml file)
                  but the problem still exists:

Code:
                  <properties>
                  		<spring.version>3.0.0.RELEASE</spring.version>
                  		<spring-security.version>3.0.2.RELEASE</spring-security.version>
                  		<tiles.version>2.1.3</tiles.version>
                  	</properties>

<dependency>
                  			<groupId>org.springframework.security</groupId>
                  			<artifactId>spring-security-core</artifactId>
                  			<version>${spring-security.version}</version>
                  		</dependency>
                  		<dependency>
                  			<artifactId>spring-security-web</artifactId>
                  		</dependency>
                  		<dependency>
                  			<artifactId>spring-security-config</artifactId>
                  		</dependency>
                  		<dependency>
                  			<artifactId>spring-security-taglibs</artifactId>
                  		</dependency>
                  is there's something should also be changed here in the security.xml file:

Code:
                  <beans:beans xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/security"  
                  	xmlns:beans="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans" 
                  	xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                  	xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans 
                  	http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans-3.0.xsd
                                          http://www.springframework.org/schema/security 
                                          http://www.springframework.org/schema/security/spring-security-3.0.xsd">

Comment

Please enable logging and post with the log files when the cookie theft exception is being reported.

Comment

i forgot to mention the special case when this exception occurs:
                      the server send automated emails via localhost(postfix)
                      when a remembered user is trying to access any link from the email after a period of time
                      the exception occurs

Comment

there's something iam missing too
                        is how is the cookie is saved in the user's pc when using the persistent token approach?
                        i noticed that the cookie is inserted automatically in the persistent_logins table when the user hits remember me,but what about the user's pc?

Comment

the documentation says:
                          Note that both implemementations(Simple Hash-Based Token Approach,Persistent Token Approach) require a UserDetailsService and iam using a jdbc-user-service is that might cause the problem?

Code:
                          <authentication-manager alias="authenticationManager">	
                          	<authentication-provider>
                          			<password-encoder hash="md5"/> 
                          			 <jdbc-user-service data-source-ref="dataSource"/>

</authentication-provider>
                          	</authentication-manager>

Comment

Please attach logs as requested

Comment

the log shows only the exception:

Code:
                              org.springframework.security.web.authentication.rememberme.CookieTheftException: Invalid remember-me token (Series/token) mismatch. Implies previous cookie theft attack.
                              	org.springframework.security.web.authentication.rememberme.PersistentTokenBasedRememberMeServices.processAutoLoginCookie(PersistentTokenBasedRememberMeServices.java:90)
                              	org.springframework.security.web.authentication.rememberme.AbstractRememberMeServices.autoLogin(AbstractRememberMeServices.java:87)
                              	org.springframework.security.web.authentication.rememberme.RememberMeAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(RememberMeAuthenticationFilter.java:77)
                              	org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:355)
                              	org.springframework.security.web.servletapi.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:54)
                              	org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:355)
                              	org.springframework.security.web.savedrequest.RequestCacheAwareFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheAwareFilter.java:35)
                              	org.springframework.security.web.authentication.AbstractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.java:188)
                              	org.springframework.security.web.authentication.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:105)
                              	org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.java:79)
                              	org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:149)
                              	org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:237)
                              	org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:167)
                              but you didn't tell me,isn't using jdbc user service is the userDetailsSerivce the tutorial recommended(both implemementations require a UserDetailsService) ?
                              and should i include any other attributes in the remember me element?

Comment

Working...
                              X