Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• session-fixation-protection

Hi,
    I'm quite new to spring security. I want to know why we want to change the "session-fixation-protection" property, and which scenarios need such change? Also some one explain the three values never, newSession and migrateSession bit elaborately?

Thanks

your question explain clearly in Spring-security reference Doc. Session-Fixation-protection is a technique of changing JSESSIONID when user logged in. I suggest refer Spring-Security Doc

Comment

Also, OWASP has an article on session fixation attacks in general: Link

Here's the relevant portion of the Spring Sec docs: Link

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for your replies, but I'm still confused with the different between the parameters values "none" and "newSession". It will be great if some one can describe them.

Thank you

Comment

Indicates whether an existing session should be invalidated when a user authenticates and a new session
          started.
          If set to "none" no change will be made.
          "newSession" will create a new empty session.
          "migrateSession" will create a new session and copy the session attributes to the new session.
          Defaults to "migrateSession".

it is used when u try to login JSESSIONID is generate and depending on requirement u can have possible above 3 options to set

Comment

thank you rohan,
            To make it clear if we use "none" we are susceptible to session fixation attack.
            And if we use "newSession" we are not. And in "migrateSession" it says it copies session attributes. What are the attributes that copies?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by chamila_ruw View Post
              thank you rohan,
              To make it clear if we use "none" we are susceptible to session fixation attack.
              And if we use "newSession" we are not. And in "migrateSession" it says it copies session attributes. What are the attributes that copies?

Thank you
              It will copy all attributes of the session, unless you configure this feature using explicit bean configuration. You are correct about "none" vs "newSession".

Comment

Working...
              X