Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTTP Redirect (302) to login loses Referer

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble getting the target URL resulting from a successful login (using SimpleUrlAuthenticationSuccessHandler) to be the originally requested resource.

So, desired outcome is:

1. User requests "secure" path without authenticating
    2. User is redirected to login page
    3. User successfully authenticates and is taken to path requested in step 1.

Actual outcome:

1. User requests "secure" path without authenticating
    2. User is redirected to login page
    3. User successfully authenticates and is taken to defaultTargetUrl

I have tried setting alwaysUseDefaultTargetUrl=false:

Code:
    // Snippet
    <bean class="org.springframework.security.web.authentication.SimpleUrlAuthenticationSuccessHandler">
    	<property name="defaultTargetUrl" value="/struts/secure.home.action"/>
    	<property name="alwaysUseDefaultTargetUrl" value="false"/>

</bean>
    No joy. I also tried manually setting a target location in the login form, using:

Code:
    <property name="targetUrlParameter" value="location"/>
    Where "location" is a hidden field in login into which I write the "Referer" http header.

Here's where things go pear shaped. The HTTP GET request issued by the browser (Firefox) does NOT contain a Referer header.

So the HTTP sequence seems correct:

1. Client sends GET for secure path
    2. Server sends 302 (redirect) to login page
    3. Client sends GET for login page <-- Fail here

The GET for the login page does not contain a Referer header.. so obviously setting it in the form is not going to work, and I'm guessing that's why the out-of-the-box config fails too.

I have verified that I don't have any crufty configs in the browser (about:config), and I get the same behavior in Chrome (although I can't see the actual headers, I'm assuming the same problem).

Anyone seen this before? From what I've read the http GET sent after a 302 "should" have the referer (?)

I'm on Windoze 7.. maybe it's a funky "security feature"?

Thanks.

ok.. so aside from being a moron... I do actually now have a legitimate issue..

My original post is incorrect as there will not be a Referer unless the original request was as a result of a hyperlink. That is, just typing the URL into the browser does not qualify as a "reference".

That said.. it's still not working, and I'm a bit confused by how it's supposed to:

Let's say I have a link on page "A", that links to a secure resource "B" within my web app.

SS will redirect the requester to the login page, at which point the Referer will be page "A". At no point does page B become the Referer, so it's a bit unclear to me how SS is supposed to be able to redirect to page "B" after successful login.

Clearly this works, as I've seen it done.. I must be missing something in my config somewhere...

Comment

Use a SavedRequestAwareAuthenticationSuccessHandler (which is the default with a namespace setup).

http://static.springsource.org/sprin...-flow-handling

Comment

mmm.. rtfm (me)

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X