Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• authorisation more complex than isUserInRole

in my application the users authority to perform a particular buisness-logic depends not only on isUserInRole. it is quite more complex.
    e.g. depends the users authority to edit or delete a category-object on the user being the author of the category. or the user may have category-specific privileges: a user may own the privileges to edit or delete category A but is not authorized to edit or delete category b.

(so the database containing the tables representing the user-domain-objects can be compared with the system database of a mysqldatabaseserver:
    the users have database-specific rights: there is a user table and a table for the databases and a join table which contains the privileges.)

so there has to be extra buisness logic to determine if a user is authorized to perform a particular buisness-logic:

my domain model:

public class User {
    	private String id;
    	//key-object is a Category object, value object is a CategoryPrivileges object 
    	private Map categoryPrivileges = new HashMap();
    	public Map getCategoryPrivileges() {
    		return categoryPrivileges;
    public class Category {
    	private String name;
    	private User author;
    	public String getName() {
    		return name;
    	public void setName(String name) { = name;
    	public User getAuthor() {
    		return author;
    	public void setAuthor(User author) { = author;
    public class CategoryPrivileges {
    	private boolean privEdit = false;
    	private boolean privDelete = false;
    	public boolean getPrivEdit() {
    		return privEdit;

the buisness-class

public class Application {
    	public static final int EDIT_CATEGORY = 1;
    	private CategoryDao categoryDao;
    	public Category findCategoryById(long id) {
    		return this.categoryDao.findById(id);
    	public void editCategory(Category category, User performer) throws UnauthorizedException {
    		if (this.canPerform(performer, this.EDIT_CATEGORY, category))
    			throw new UnauthorizedException("not authorized");;
    	public static boolean canPerform(User performer, int action, Object object) {
    		switch (action) {
    		case EDIT_CATEGORY: {
    			Category category = (Category) object;
    			//the user has the authority to perform the buisnesslogic if he 
    			//either is the author or he owns the required privs for this category
    			return (performer.getCategoryPrivileges().containsKey(category)
    			&& ((CategoryPrivileges) performer.getCategoryPrivileges().get(category)).getPrivEdit())
    			|| performer.equals(category.getAuthor());
    			throw new RuntimeException("Invalid action.");
    so is the acegi-framwork suitalbe for that, if yes: does acegi also work with jdo? if not how would a good object-design for such a security framework look like. can you please give me some tips.

Hi derKaiser,

There are many ways to achieve your goals with ACEGI, i think.

The ability of a user to edit or delete a category can typicallly be modelized through an ACL.

A user can be granted a permission (e.g. edit, delete) for a domain object (e.g. a category) by an AclEntryVoter. This voter will rely on an AclManager, then AclProvider that will be able to provide it with a list of granted users for a permission on a specific domain object.

AclEntry, AclVoter are part of the ACEGI library. The reference documentation gives a good idea of how to use this.

Modeling the fact that a the user is the author of the category can be achieved through calculation at Authentication population time. I am currently encountering the problem: I have to grant the user for access to a feature 1 only if his/her enterprise has a subscription for a particular feature 2. To solve this, I chose to consider this access as a new Granted Authority. While populating the newly authenticated user, I retrieve his/her enterprise's subscriptions, and if it has a subscription for feature2, I add "SUBSCRIBER_FEATURE2" authority to this user's details.

So, to answer your question: Yes ACEGI can suit your need with custom role definition and use of ACLs.

Concering your domain objects, I think you can define your CategoryPrivileges class with a private int mask field, rather than a finite number of fields representing you privileges. this will be extensible easier.

You could consider the categoryPrivileges field of your User Class as a standalone class, eg.:

public class UserCategoryPrivilege
        private User user;
        private CategoryPrivileges categoryPrivileges; // Containing the permission mask
        private Category category; // The protected domain object

And to use it with ACLS:

public UserCategoryPrivilegeAclEntryWrapper implements AclEntry
       private UserCategoryPrivilege userCategoryPrivilege;
       // ACLEntry methods
    And I think it is not a good idea to provide your Category class with the author field. Actually, from a functionnal point of view, a category should not know about the user that created it.

Hoping this will be helpful,

ok nice

i'm going to study the documentaion now. but one last question:
      i've read the framework uses its own dao's. so is there a possibility to use jdo with acegi.

dao =jdo

Hi derKaiser,

Yes you can use whatever implementation of net.sf.acegisecurity.providers.dao.AuthenticationD ao and wire it in the DaoAuthenticationProvider.

We actually use Hibernate as underlaying implementation.

Hope it helps