X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring 3.0 NTLM error Not a Type 3 Message

Below are the relevant excerpts from my Spring configuration. I'm not a NTLM expert, I've read all of the relevant documentation and searched for the error and nothing I have tried seems to get past the error. I am hitting the app as a user A, but the only valid login is Login B,I get the login page and I try to login with user B credentials, but I get the Type 3 message error at that point. Does anyone have any ideas?

<security:http use-expressions="true" auto-config='false'
    realm="cip" entry-point-ref="ntlmProcessingFilterEntryPoint">

<security:custom-filter position="NTLM_FILTER " ref="ntlmProcessingFilter" />

<security:authentication-manager alias="authenticationManager">
    <security:authentication-provider
    ref="ntlmAuthProvider" user-service-ref="userDetailsService" />
    <!--<security:authentication-provider
    ref="ldapAuthProvider" user-service-ref="userDetailsService" />-->
    </security:authentication-manager>

<!-- =========================================== NTLM Config ================================================== ==== -->

<bean id="ntlmAuthProvider" class="com.bbvacompass.acegi.NtlmAuthenticationPro vider">
    <constructor-arg>
    <ref local="ntlmAwareLdapAuthenticator" />
    </constructor-arg>
    <constructor-arg>
    <ref local="authoritiesPopulator" />
    </constructor-arg>
    <property name="userDetailsContextMapper" ref="userDetailsContextMapper" />
    </bean>

<!--
    Bind and populate user from NTLM token

constructor = initial context factory defined above
    userSearch = userSearch defined above
    -->
    <bean id="ntlmAwareLdapAuthenticator" class="org.springframework.security.ui.ntlm.ldap.a uthenticator.NtlmAwareLdapAuthenticator">
    <constructor-arg ref="initialDirContextFactory"/>
    <property name="userSearch" ref="userSearch"/>
    </bean>

<bean id="ntlmAuthenticationManager" class="org.springframework.security.authentication .ProviderManager">
    <property name="providers">
    <list>
    <ref bean="ntlmAuthProvider" />
    </list>
    </property>
    </bean>

<bean id="ntlmProcessingFilter" class="org.springframework.security.ui.ntlm.NtlmPr ocessingFilter">
    <property name="defaultDomain" value="CompassNT"/>
    <property name="netbiosWINS" value="${${site}.netbiosWINS}"/>
    <property name="domainController" value="${${site}.domainController}"/>
    <property name="smbClientUsername" ref="serviceAccount"/>
    <property name="smbClientPassword" ref="serviceAccountPassword"/>
    <property name="authenticationManager" ref="ntlmAuthenticationManager"/>
    </bean>

<bean id="ntlmAccessDeniedHandler" class="org.springframework.security.web.access.Acc essDeniedHandlerImpl">
    <property name="errorPage" value="/login.jsp?failure=true"/>
    </bean>

<bean id="ntlmProcessingFilterEntryPoint" class="org.springframework.security.ui.ntlm.NtlmPr ocessingFilterEntryPoint">
    <property name="authenticationFailureUrl" value="/login.jsp" />
    </bean>

<bean id="ntlmExceptionTranslationFilter" class="org.springframework.security.web.access.Exc eptionTranslationFilter">
    <property name="authenticationEntryPoint">
    <ref bean="ntlmProcessingFilterEntryPoint"/>
    </property>
    <property name="accessDeniedHandler">
    <ref bean="ntlmAccessDeniedHandler" />
    </property>
    </bean>

[9/18/09 6:46:53:314 CDT] 00000029 SystemOut O 06:46:53,314 DEBUG [org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityC ontextPersistenceFilter] SecurityContextHolder now cleared, as request processing completed
    [9/18/09 6:46:53:361 CDT] 00000029 FFDCJanitor I com.ibm.ws.ffdc.FFDCJanitor doCleanupIfNeeded FFDC0004I: FFDC log file management removed 44 of 44 files that have reached their configured maximum age
    [9/18/09 6:46:53:377 CDT] 00000029 WebApp E [Servlet Error]-[Filter [springSecurityFilterChain]: filter is unavailable.]: java.io.IOException: Not a Type 3 message.
    at jcifs.ntlmssp.Type3Message.parse(Type3Message.java :546)
    at jcifs.ntlmssp.Type3Message.<init>(Type3Message.jav a:208)
    at org.springframework.security.ui.ntlm.NtlmProcessin gFilter.processType3Message(NtlmProcessingFilter.j ava:393)
    at org.springframework.security.ui.ntlm.NtlmProcessin gFilter.doFilter(NtlmProcessingFilter.java:341)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$ VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java: 356)
    at org.springframework.security.web.access.ExceptionT ranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilt er.java:98)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$ VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java: 356)
    at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.An onymousProcessingFilter.doFilter(AnonymousProcessi ngFilter.java:110)
    at org.springframework.security.web.wrapper.SecurityC ontextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(SecurityCo ntextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:55)
    at org.springframework.security.web.savedrequest.Requ estCacheAwareFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheAwareFilt er.java:36)
    at org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityC ontextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPe rsistenceFilter.java:80)

Note that NTLM support will be discontinued in Spring Security 3, in favour of kerberos:

https://jira.springsource.org/browse/SEC-1233

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Luke, I had already read that before. I was just hoping that I could get this working temporarily. I guess I need to find a good Kerberos example and find a way to implement it within our organization or use some other mechanism.

I need Single Sign On with our internal system and it is Active Directory and I am quickly running out of options for making this work without writing an entire solution myself.

Will the new Kerberos solution work with Active Directory or do we need a second system to proxy the authentication from Kerberos to Active Directory?

Comment

Yes, it will work with AD. Mike will publish a blog article on it, but he is currently on holiday.

Comment

Awesome

That's great. Is there currently any documentation out there on it at all? I'd love to attempt to get it working over the weekend. Just a crude example would be nice. I have a my configuration working with Active Directory, I just need to convert it to utilize Kerberos I guess and I should be good. If I could get it working, I could donate my configuration as an example.

Comment

There is already a sample application I believe, but the difficult part is in configuring kerberos for your system.

Comment

Configuring

I may be SOL. Getting anything configured around here is an act of congress. That may present an issue. Thanks for the information.

Comment

Well, you can point out that NTLM is less secure and that Kerberos is recommended instead. Kerberos is the default authentication mechanism used by Active Directory these days.

Comment

Kerberos Sample

Luke - I really need to find that sample application. Where would it be located?

Thanks,
                  Chris

Comment

https://src.springsource.org/svn/se-...rity-kerberos/

Comment

Working...
                    X