Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generateNewContext throws NullPointerException

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to figure out how to get a simple example to work using Tapestry + Spring + Acegi + Hibernate. I have been following the hispacta example, searching this forum, and trying to understand the changes that have been made with the latest version (0.8.2).

All I am trying to do is to authenciate a user from the database (via Hibernate). Nothing fancy or extra.

Using Acegi 0.8.2 and Spring 1.2.1, however, I got a NullPointerException when the HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.generateNewCon text() method call when I tried to bring up the Home page (the very first page of the app).

My app server is JBoss 4.0.1sp1.

Code:
    21:38:52,735 DEBUG [HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter] No HttpSession currently exists
    21:38:52,735 ERROR [Engine] StandardWrapperValve[core]: Servlet.service() for servlet core threw exception
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at net.sf.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.generateNewContext(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.
            at net.sf.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:210)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:186)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
            at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:75)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:186)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:198)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:152)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
            at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.CustomPrincipalValve.invoke(CustomPrincipalValve.java:66)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
            at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:150)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
            at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:54)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)
            at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:118)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
            at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
            at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)
            at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Below is my web.xml and spring configuration file.

Code:
    <web-app>
       <display-name>Core Web Application</display-name>

<context-param>
          <param-name>contextConfigLocation</param-name>
          <param-value>
             /WEB-INF/classes/applicationContext.xml
          </param-value>
       </context-param> 

<filter>
          <filter-name>Acegi HTTP Session Context Integration Filter</filter-name>
          <filter-class>net.sf.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter</filter-class>
       </filter>

<filter>
          <filter-name>Acegi Authentication Processing Filter</filter-name>
          <filter-class>net.sf.acegisecurity.util.FilterToBeanProxy</filter-class>
          <init-param>
             <param-name>targetClass</param-name>
             <param-value>net.sf.acegisecurity.ui.webapp.AuthenticationProcessingFilter</param-value>
          </init-param>
       </filter>

<filter-mapping>
          <filter-name>Acegi HTTP Session Context Integration Filter</filter-name>
          <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
       </filter-mapping>

<filter-mapping>
          <filter-name>Acegi Authentication Processing Filter</filter-name>
          <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
       </filter-mapping>   

<listener>
          <listener-class>org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener</listener-class>
       </listener>   

<servlet>
          <servlet-name>core</servlet-name>
          <servlet-class>org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet</servlet-class>
          <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
       </servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
          <servlet-name>core</servlet-name>
          <url-pattern>/app</url-pattern>
       </servlet-mapping>

<session-config>
          <session-timeout>15</session-timeout>
       </session-config>

<welcome-file-list>
          <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
       </welcome-file-list>
    </web-app>
    and my acegi related configuration:

Code:
    <beans>

<bean id="authenticationManager" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.providers.ProviderManager">
          <property name="providers">
             <list>
                <ref bean="daoAuthenticationProvider"/>
             </list>
          </property>
       </bean>

<bean id="daoAuthenticationProvider" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.providers.dao.DaoAuthenticationProvider">
          <property name="authenticationDao"><ref bean="gemExUserDao"/></property>
          <property name="passwordEncoder"><ref bean="passwordEncoder"/></property>
       </bean>

<bean id="passwordEncoder" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.providers.encoding.Md5PasswordEncoder">      
       </bean>

<bean id="authenticationProcessingFilter" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.ui.webapp.AuthenticationProcessingFilter">
          <property name="authenticationManager"><ref bean="authenticationManager"/></property>
          <property name="authenticationFailureUrl"><value>/app?service=page/Login</value></property>
          <property name="defaultTargetUrl"><value>/app</value></property>
          <property name="filterProcessesUrl"><value>/j_acegi_security_check</value></property>
       </bean>

<bean id="httpSessionContextIntegrationFilter" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter" abstract="false" singleton="true" lazy-init="default" autowire="default" dependency-check="default">
          <property name="context">
             <value>net.sf.acegisecurity.context.security.SecureContextImpl</value> 
          </property>
       </bean>

</beans>
    Am I missing anything in particular? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ben

What line of HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter is throwing the exception? Also, are you trying to use JBoss container adapters or the recommended filters-based approach? Have you got an old version of Acegi Security somewhere in the JBoss classloader? Are you using the official 0.8.2 release, or a separately compiled version?

Comment

Hi Alex,

I didn't think anyone would replied to my post after 8 days!! I really appreciate your efforts. I initially was trying to have only the minimum setup working (e.g. only a simple authentication without all the other stuff). Since I didn't get any help, I decide to add more to the setup scouring the net for examples and stuff. After a few tries, I finally got it working. Basically, this is now my configuration (in case people are interested):

As a newcomer, I like to say that the documentation needs some serious work. I had a very hard time figuring out what I need to do to get a basic setup going. I understand this is open source and the work of volunteers, so please understand I am in no way complaining. Just giving some feedback...

Code:
      <beans>

<bean id="authenticationManager" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.providers.ProviderManager">
            <property name="providers">
               <list>
                  <ref bean="daoAuthenticationProvider"/>
                  <ref local="anonymousAuthenticationProvider"/>
               </list>
            </property>
         </bean>

<bean id="daoAuthenticationProvider" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.providers.dao.DaoAuthenticationProvider">
            <property name="authenticationDao"><ref bean="gemExUserDao"/></property>
            <!-- <property name="passwordEncoder"><ref bean="passwordEncoder"/></property> -->
         </bean>

<bean id="passwordEncoder" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.providers.encoding.Md5PasswordEncoder">      
         </bean>

<bean id="anonymousAuthenticationProvider" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.providers.anonymous.AnonymousAuthenticationProvider">
            <property name="key"><value>foobar</value></property>
         </bean>

<bean id="filterChainProxy" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy">
            <property name="filterInvocationDefinitionSource">
               <value>
      		      CONVERT_URL_TO_LOWERCASE_BEFORE_COMPARISON
      		      PATTERN_TYPE_APACHE_ANT
                  /**=httpSessionContextIntegrationFilter,authenticationProcessingFilter,anonymousProcessingFilter,securityEnforcementFilter
               </value>
            </property>
         </bean>

<bean id="httpSessionContextIntegrationFilter" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter" abstract="false" singleton="true" lazy-init="default" autowire="default" dependency-check="default">
            <property name="context">
               <value>net.sf.acegisecurity.context.security.SecureContextImpl</value> 
            </property>
         </bean>

<bean id="authenticationProcessingFilter" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.ui.webapp.AuthenticationProcessingFilter">
            <property name="authenticationManager"><ref bean="authenticationManager"/></property>
            <property name="authenticationFailureUrl"><value>/app?service=page/Login</value></property>
            <property name="defaultTargetUrl"><value>/app?service=page/Home</value></property>
            <property name="alwaysUseDefaultTargetUrl"><value>false</value></property>
            <property name="filterProcessesUrl"><value>/j_acegi_security_check</value></property>
         </bean>

<bean id="anonymousProcessingFilter" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.providers.anonymous.AnonymousProcessingFilter">
            <property name="key"><value>foobar</value></property>
            <property name="userAttribute"><value>anonymousUser,ROLE_ANONYMOUS</value></property>
         </bean>

<bean id="securityEnforcementFilter" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.intercept.web.SecurityEnforcementFilter">
            <property name="filterSecurityInterceptor"><ref local="filterInvocationInterceptor"/></property>
            <property name="authenticationEntryPoint"><ref local="authenticationProcessingFilterEntryPoint"/></property>
         </bean>

<bean id="authenticationProcessingFilterEntryPoint" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.ui.webapp.AuthenticationProcessingFilterEntryPoint">
            <property name="loginFormUrl"><value>/app?service=page/Login</value></property>
            <property name="forceHttps"><value>false</value></property>
         </bean>

<bean id="filterInvocationInterceptor" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.intercept.web.FilterSecurityInterceptor">
            <property name="accessDecisionManager"><ref local="httpRequestAccessDecisionManager"/></property>
            <property name="objectDefinitionSource">
               <value>
      	         CONVERT_URL_TO_LOWERCASE_BEFORE_COMPARISON
      		      PATTERN_TYPE_APACHE_ANT
                  /app=ROLE_ANONYMOUS,ROLE_USER
      		      /app?service?page/home=ROLE_ANONYMOUS,ROLE_USER
      		      /app?service?page/login=ROLE_ANONYMOUS
      		      /app**=ROLE_USER
                  /**=ROLE_ANONYMOUS,ROLE_USER
               </value>
            </property>
         </bean>      

<bean id="httpRequestAccessDecisionManager" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.vote.AffirmativeBased">
            <property name="allowIfAllAbstainDecisions"><value>false</value></property>
            <property name="decisionVoters">
               <list>
                  <ref bean="roleVoter"/>
               </list>
            </property>
         </bean>   

<bean id="roleVoter" class="net.sf.acegisecurity.vote.RoleVoter"/>        

</beans>

Comment

Working...
      X