Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to optimize ACL

Hi,

I'm new to acegi security and I'm evaluate them.
    I get contacts sample from CVS and I change DataSourcePopulate to
    populate 1.000 contacts and 10.000 ACL_OBJECT_IDENTITY.

When I try to see the efect this code
    Code:
    long iTime = System.currentTimeMillis();
            //System.out.println("Time:"+iTime);
            List myContactsList = contactManager.getAll();
            Contact[] myContacts;

if (myContactsList.size() == 0) {
                myContacts = null;
            } else {
                myContacts = (Contact[]) myContactsList.toArray(new Contact[] {});
            }

Map model = new HashMap();
            model.put("contacts", myContacts);
            System.err.println("Time:"+(System.currentTimeMillis()-iTime));
    give me 2 a 3 seconds, for one user, and 16 second for 15 users.

To see what cause this too long time, I remove AFTER_ACL_COLLECTION_READ from applicationContext-common-authorization.xml
    and time reduce to 62 miliseconds.

How can I optimize ACL to reduce time to get contacts ?

Thanks,
    Paulo

My Computer is:
    Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz
    1gb RAM
    Windows XP

I would not recommend using a getAll() type method to retrieve 1,000 objects and then expect to perform Java-level filtering - irrespective of the framework/system helping you out in the Java tier. Heavy-duty filtering is the responsibility of your database tier, not the Java tier. Even if you did execute a DB query that returned 1,000 Objects, I'd encourage using pagination so that the ACL services are only dealing with 10-50 Objects at a time. This is all your users will expect to see on a results page at a given time. If it's not a user interaction use case - say it's a services layer method updating the prices of all your inventory - you will probably want to use batch updating and principal-level filtering is unlikely to be important.

The other issue is the ACL services perform caching. If you ran the operation a second time without restarting the application context, you would find performance considerably better.

Overall I would anticipate the type of use case your benchmark is seeking to demonstrate is not illustrative of what a properly designed application would usually be doing.

Comment

Working...
    X