X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAAS - Acegi

I have a simple question with respect to JAAS and acegi. I hope Ray Krueger is checking this forum.
    1. After login, JAAS returns a set of principals one of which is the username and the other is a group with the list of authorities.
    getPrincipals has (username and a group containing the roles).
    Now, my problem is
    granter.grant returns only a single role while the principal is actually a group.
    In this case, the principal is group called ROLES with members ADMIN and USER.
    AuthorityGranter granter = authorityGranters[i];
    String role = granter.grant(principal);

i was hoping there was a solution to this without extending the JAASAuthenticationProvider.
    Thanks,
    John

Some of this depends on the JAAS login module your using and such, but let's see if I understand this correctly...

Your subject.getPrincipals() returns 2 elements
    A principal representing the User
    A principal representing a Group that user belongs to

You want to return many roles, based on information extracted from that single group, correct?

Unfortunately, the AuthorityGranter interface only allows returning one String representing a role. So you could write an AuthorityGranter that returns ROLE_ADMIN if the principal is the Administrators group. And do basically the same if the user is in a Users group.

It sounds like you want to return multiple roles based on a single principal. A completely understandable request, that unfortunately Acegi doesn't support right now.

The AuthorityGranter interface should define itself as...
    Code:
        public Set grant(Principal principal);
    That would really provide the greatest flexibility.

Would that help?

Comment

You can ignore most of what I said above. Except for the part where I said the AuthorityGranter interface should return a java.util.Set, it does now. I just committed that change and tests to verify it.

-Ray

Comment

Will this change be in .9.0 ?

I had a similar problem but I was extending JaasAuthenticationProvider to handle the returned principals in a way I wanted, but this change should resolve my problem without extending the provider.

Comment

What the Set should contain?
          Set of Roles (as String)? Or Principal

Comment

Yep, the code has already been checked into CVS. You can use it now if you pull it from there.

The Set can contain strings, or anything that .toString() returns as a valid role name really. So if the set contains your own objects and .toString() returns ROLE_USER for example, that's fine. For safety's sake, filling it with Strings is the better route though.

-Ray

Comment

Acegi security

Hi
              I am interested in library Acegi Security for Spring, and i have gote some questions about it:
              how looks like
              - service of authentication and authorization in web application - access to pages (URL)
              - service of authentication and authorization - access to class method (business functions)
              - service of authentication and authorization in(RMI, http, soap)
              - service of authentication by passwords, token securid, SMS password , one use password
              - possibillity of use LDAP
              - service of access list for data objects
              - possibillity of use wicket application

thanks for any answers

Comment

Working...
              X