Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSO and CAS for disconnected systems

Hi,

Here's the scenario.
    We have a main system A, and a subsystem B. Users usually log on to subsystem B to do their work, and sometimes using services from system A.

Both A and B can authenticate users using the same user/pass pair. However, since users had been logged in to B, it is a good idea that they don't need to login to system A again when they need to access system A.

Another problem is, subsystem B and its users lies behind a firewall/NAT that system A cannot access subsystem B directly. They can only establish outgoing connections using HTTP.

Yes, I know CAS can facilitate SSO across web applications; also CAS has can proxy users' credentials. However, I still don't know how should I configure the authentication mechanisms for systems A and B using Acegi and CAS, so that after users logged in to subsystem B, they can transparently access services from system A, for the situation above.

Hope I made myself clear. Can anybody shed me some light on this?

Thanks in advance..

Will system B be using System A on the users behalf? If not, you don't need proxy authentication.

What you need to do is configure both applications to use Acegi & CAS (there are documents on this in the Acegi web site). Once you have done this, when you go to the first application and authenticate it creates a TicketGrantingTicket for you which along with a TGT cookie enables single sign on in the web tier. From that point on, as long as your TGT is valid and you have not told system A or B to force re-authentication, they can both enjoy single sign on. They will not be presented with another log on screen.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. However, would like to ask one more question, just for clarification...

Following what you said, when I set sendRenew to false to ServiceProperties of CAS, when users attempt to access an resource from system A, given that the user have logged in to system B in advance, users can immediately access the resources from system A, without login again? Or I have to make an URL which appends the user's ticket which is stored on the client's cookie and send it to system A?

Thanks again.

Comment

What will happen is this (this is just a sample):

1. You go to System A.
        2. Acegi redirects you to CAS
        3. You authenticate with CAS (TicketGrantingTicket cookie, etc.)
        4. CAS redirects you to System A with ServiceTicket
        5. Service A validates service ticket and you are let into A
        6. You decide to access System B
        7. You go to System B
        8. System B says hey I don't know who this is and redirects to CAS
        9. Without a renew=true, CAS already knows who you are and redirects you back to the app with a ServiceTicket. You do not need to reauthenticate.

Most of this flow will be handled automatically by Acegi and CAS.

I hope that explains it better

Comment

Working...
        X