X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building ACEGI with Maven 101

I'm new to Maven and I can't build the core release 1.0.3. I get the error :

Code:
    [INFO] Scanning for projects...
    [INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'jar'.
    [INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [INFO] Building Acegi Security System for Spring
    [INFO]    task-segment: [jar:jar]
    [INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [INFO] [jar:jar]
    [WARNING] JAR will be empty - no content was marked for inclusion!
    [INFO] Building jar: [directory_here]\acegi\release_1_0_3\core\target\acegi-security-1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [INFO] BUILD SUCCESSFUL
    [INFO] Total time: 1 second
    [INFO] Finished at: Tue Jan 09 15:09:00 EST 2007
    [INFO] Final Memory: 2M/6M
    Howcome the jar file is empty ?? How do I mark files for inclusion ?

Problem solved.

FYI : ACEGI builds with Maven 1, not Maven 2...

Comment

Originally posted by lucboudreau View Post
      Problem solved.

FYI : ACEGI builds with Maven 1, not Maven 2...
      Yes, and it makes perfect sense why the Maven developers couldn't be arsed to make Maven 2 backwards compatible.

What a PITA. Maven should be banished to the 9th circle of Hell.

Comment

Maven 2 is very different from maven 1, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by backwards compatible - projects can choose to use either for their build. We are moving to using Maven 2, so there are project.xml and pom.xml files currently in the source tree, but support for maven 1 will be dropped as soon as possible.

It isn't correct to say that Acegi doesn't build with maven 2 since that's what is used to produce the nightly builds. If you're not familiar with maven then I'd recommend downloading one of these in preference to building yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
          Maven 2 is very different from maven 1, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by backwards compatible - projects can choose to use either for their build.
          Yeah, that's the problem. M2 and M1 are essentially completely different tools. But it seems like the Maven developers *could* have implemented some sort of compatibility mode so that M2 could build projects configured with M1. It's annoying when you download a project, the directions say "use Maven 1.0.2 or greater" and you'd like to intuitively think that that includes Maven 2.x... but it really doesn't (well not necessarily). For example, I tried building Acegi with M2 yesterday and could not get a clean build. That's what led me to this thread and the realization that I needed to use M1. Which, btw, did work OK.

We are moving to using Maven 2, so there are project.xml and pom.xml files currently in the source tree, but support for maven 1 will be dropped as soon as possible.
          That's good to know. The sooner everybody switches to m2, the sooner we can all forget that m1 exists and get away from this weird "maven schism."

Of course none of this changes the fact that maven is an over-engineered pos that should be banished to the deepest pits of hades...

Comment

Working...
          X