X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFE: Provide a way to translate the JAAS LoginExceptions

In my JAASLoginModule, I throw a subclass of LoginException upon InvalidCredentials, UserNotFound, .... However, the current LDAPProvider does not foresee a way to resolve the LoginException into an Acegi exception. I could just throw an Acegi exception straight away, but that would mean that the JAAS login module is dependent on Acegi, while it is the other way around.

To make a long story short, could the class JaasAuthenticationProvider be alter to call a method for resolving the LoginException, so I can subclass it and provide my own resolver ?

Code:
        public Authentication authenticate(Authentication auth)
                try {
                } catch (LoginException e) {
                    context.publishEvent(new JaasAuthenticationFailedEvent(auth, e));

// This could become the implementation of resolveLoginException(e); so I can subclass and change behavior
                    //We have no way of knowing what caused the exception, so we cannot throw BadCredentialsException, DisabledException, or LockedException.
                    //So we'll just throw an AuthenticationServiceException
                    throw new AuthenticationServiceException(e.toString());
                }
    Stefaan

Default: look at the getCause() of the LoginException

What's more, if the LoginModule throws an Acegi exception straight away, it gets wrapped in a LoginException by JAAS. The exception handler could look if the target exception of the LoginException is an Acegi exception, and use that one.

Code:
          public Authentication authenticate(Authentication auth)
                try {
                    context.publishEvent(new JaasAuthenticationFailedEvent(auth, e));
                     resolveLoginException(e);
                } 

/**
           * Tries to resolves a JAAS login exception into an Acegie exception, such as BadCredentialsException, DisabledException, UsernameNotFoundException or LockedException
           * @param loginException The login exception causing the failed login
           * @return AcegiSecurityException The corresponding exception of Acegi
           */
          public AcegiSecurityException resolveLoginException(LoginException loginException) {
               // if the code needs to be compatible with pre 1.4, we need to use reflection here
               if (loginException.getCause() instanceof AcegiSecurityException) {
                   return (AcegiSecurityException)loginException.getCause();
                } else {
                   //We have no way of knowing what caused the exception, so we return the general AuthenticationServiceException
                   //So we'll just throw an AuthenticationServiceException
                   throw new AuthenticationServiceException(loginException.toString());
                }
          }
    Ben, if u want, I'll be happy to contribute the modified JaasAuthenticationProvider (and test case).

Stefaan.

Comment

I like both ideas actually...

How about I implement the translateException method, with the default functionality being to check the getCause() method for an AcegiSecurityException.

For example....

Code:
          public Authentication authenticate(Authentication auth) {
                  try {
                      AcegiSecurityException translatedException = translateException(e);
                      context.publishEvent(new JaasAuthenticationFailedEvent(auth, translatedException));
                      throw translatedException;
                  }
              }

return null;
          }

protected AcegiSecurityException translateException(LoginException e) {
              if (e.getCause() instanceof AcegiSecurityException) {
                  return (AcegiSecurityException) e.getCause();
              } else {
                  return new AuthenticationServiceException(e.toString());
              }
          }

Comment

Working...
      X