Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get User details

Hi,

I'm new to Acegi.
    I would like to access some properties for the user using the authz:authentication tag.

I subclassed JdbcDaoImpl to add the new sql statement but now I cannot go further.

Could anybody tell me exactly what should be modified to achieve my purpose?

Complete samples would be great.

Thanks

LuKe

Originally posted by lukeb
    I would like to access some properties for the user using the authz:authentication tag.
    From the Acegi documentation:

1.7.4.2. AuthenticationTag

AuthenticationTag is used to simply output a property of the current principal's Authentication.getPrincipal() object to the web page.

The following JSP fragment illustrates how to use the AuthenticationTag:

<authz:authentication operation="username"/>

This tag would cause the principal's name to be output. Here we are assuming the Authentication.getPrincipal() is a UserDetails object, which is generally the case when using the typical DaoAuthenticationProvider.

HTH
    Oliver

Comment

hi, in reference to the above answer.................

<authz:authentication operation="username"/> only seems to work with the User object (implemening userdetails) properties. But if a nested object exists then can we not use the tag to access that particular property??

e.g.
      <authz:authentication operation="username.address.line1"/> ??

Address for sure is not null when I check but the tag cannot seem to render nested properties like the standard jstl c tag.

If I remove the nested property line1 then it picks up the address property but renders this as null? But it isnt.

Any ideas????

bets wishes

Comment

The authz tag doesn't support nesting. Please feel free to add a patch and unit tests to JIRA if you require this functionality.

Comment

According to the documentation the AuthenticationTag invokes methods on the object returned by Authentication.getPrincipal(). However, both the AuthenticationProcessingFilter and the SiteminderAuthenticationProcessingFilter set a simple username String as the principal in the attemptAuthentication method with no clean way to override this behavior.

I would request a method in the AuthenticationProcessingFilter called something like obtainPrincipal to allow for an easy mechanism to override what object is set as the principal.

Here is an optional default implementation:

protected Object obtainPrincipal(String username) {
          return username;
          }
          Last edited by ajrobinson; May 16th, 2006, 12:56 PM.

Comment

AuthenticationProcessingFilter doesn't set the principal to be a String in attemptAuthentication(). The code for the method is here:

http://acegisecurity.org/multiprojec...Filter.html#59

It uses whatever is returned by the authentication manager as the principal object. Typically this will be a UserDetails object, as returned from the authenticate method of AbstractUserDetailsManager:

http://acegisecurity.org/multiprojec...vider.html#199

(Usually a concrete instance of DaoAuthenticationProvider).

You can override the createSuccessAuthentication() method or specialse the UserDetailsService that is used to further customise the contents of the Authentication object that is returned.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Alex
              The authz tag doesn't support nesting. Please feel free to add a patch and unit tests to JIRA if you require this functionality.
              I need this feature. Is it implemented yet ?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X