Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAS & Concurrent session management doesn't work?

I have tried to limit my concurrent users in my spring app.
    I am using CAS 3.5 & spring security 3.1.0

I have succeeded to configure concurrent session management with CONCURRENT_SESSION_FILTER without CAS. But with CAS, no success. I thought I could replace FORM_LOGIN_FILTER with CAS_FILTER such like that: (omitted some of the config)

Code:

<security:http entry-point-ref="casEntryPoint" use-expressions="true">
    	 	<security:intercept-url pattern="/" access="permitAll"/>
        	        <security:intercept-url pattern="/param" access="hasRole('ROLE_USER')"/>

<security:custom-filter position="CONCURRENT_SESSION_FILTER" ref="concurrencyFilter"/>
    	 	<security:custom-filter position="CAS_FILTER" ref="casFilter" />
    	 	<security:session-management session-authentication-strategy-ref="sas" />
    	 	 <!-- for single logout -->
    	 	<security:logout logout-success-url="/cas-logout.jsp"/>
        	        <security:custom-filter ref="requestSingleLogoutFilter" before="LOGOUT_FILTER"/>
        	        <security:custom-filter ref="singleLogoutFilter" before="CAS_FILTER"/>
    	 </security:http>

<bean id="casFilter" class="org.springframework.security.cas.web.CasAuthenticationFilter">
    	 	<property name="sessionAuthenticationStrategy" ref="sas"></property>
    	    <property name="authenticationManager" ref="authenticationManager"/>
    	  </bean>

<bean id="concurrencyFilter" class="org.springframework.security.web.session.ConcurrentSessionFilter">
    		<property name="sessionRegistry" ref="sessionRegistry" />
    		<property name="expiredUrl" value="/session-expired.htm" />
    	  </bean>

<bean id="sas" class="org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.ConcurrentSessionControlStrategy">
    		<constructor-arg name="sessionRegistry" ref="sessionRegistry" />
    		<property name="maximumSessions" value="1" />
    	  </bean>

<bean id="sessionRegistry" class="org.springframework.security.core.session.SessionRegistryImpl" />
    And then it lead to an infinite redirect loop on authentication with cas server.
    I traced the log file and figured what was happening

Code:
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.authentication.ProviderManager - Authentication attempt using org.springframework.security.cas.authentication.CasAuthenticationProvider
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.cas.authentication.CasAuthenticationProvider - serviceUrl = https://localhost:8443/multisource/j_spring_cas_security_check
    DEBUG: com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetailsService - Detected authorities for user koala are:
    DEBUG: com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetailsService - ROLE_USER
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.ConcurrentSessionControlStrategy - Invalidating session with Id '8E8F210E2138C80502AEAC7EE6303FA7' and migrating attributes.
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.session.HttpSessionEventPublisher - Publishing event: org.springframework.security.web.session.HttpSessionDestroyedEvent[source=org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade@139d891]
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.session.HttpSessionEventPublisher - Publishing event: org.springframework.security.web.session.HttpSessionCreatedEvent[source=org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade@1a6ac39]
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.ConcurrentSessionControlStrategy - Started new session: 9571DCAC11C4C684C5239E3323304FEE
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.core.session.SessionRegistryImpl - Registering session 9571DCAC11C4C684C5239E3323304FEE, for principal com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetails@f87478
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.core.session.SessionRegistryImpl - Registering session 9571DCAC11C4C684C5239E3323304FEE, for principal com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetails@f87478
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.core.session.SessionRegistryImpl - Removing session 9571DCAC11C4C684C5239E3323304FEE from principal's set of registered sessions
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.core.session.SessionRegistryImpl - Removing principal com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetails@f87478 from registry
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.cas.web.CasAuthenticationFilter - serviceTicketRequest = true
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.cas.web.CasAuthenticationFilter - Authentication success. Updating SecurityContextHolder to contain: org.springframework.security.cas.authentication.CasAuthenticationToken@e0f3e7e7: Principal: com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetails@f87478; Credentials: [PROTECTED]; Authenticated: true; Details: org.springframework.security.web.authentication.WebAuthenticationDetails@166c8: RemoteIpAddress: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1; SessionId: 8E8F210E2138C80502AEAC7EE6303FA7; Granted Authorities: ROLE_USER Assertion: org.jasig.cas.client.validation.AssertionImpl@174f6ef Credentials (Service/Proxy Ticket): ST-92-EiLGxlhtBnvqNAOGfNny-cas01.example.org
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.authentication.SavedRequestAwareAuthenticationSuccessHandler - Redirecting to DefaultSavedRequest Url: http://localhost:8080/multisource/param
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.DefaultRedirectStrategy - Redirecting to 'http://localhost:8080/multisource/param'
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.context.HttpSessionSecurityContextRepository - SecurityContext stored to HttpSession:8E8F210E2138C80502AEAC7EE6303FA7 'org.springframework.security.core.context.SecurityContextImpl@e0f3e7e7: Authentication: org.springframework.security.cas.authentication.CasAuthenticationToken@e0f3e7e7: Principal: com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetails@f87478; Credentials: [PROTECTED]; Authenticated: true; Details:  SessionId: ];org.springframework.security.web.authentication.WebAuthenticationDetails@166c8: RemoteIpAddress: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1; Granted Authorities: ROLE_USER Assertion: org.jasig.cas.client.validation.AssertionImpl@174f6ef Credentials (Service/Proxy Ticket): ST-92-EiLGxlhtBnvqNAOGfNny-cas01.example.org'
    DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityContextPersistenceFilter - SecurityContextHolder now cleared, as request processing completed
    If you look carefully(look at the bolded texts from the log):
    1. CasAuthenticationProvider authenticates the user
    2. ConcurrentSessionControlStrategy creates new session, copies details from the current and invalidates the current session
    3. CasAuthenticationFilter registers with an invalidated session
    4. Because of using invalidated session, it would loop back to the step 1 and repeats infinitely

Am I missing something? Is it a bug? Or is CAS just not meant to work with ConcurrentSessionFilter?

Hi,

Fairly tricky problem ! I believe CAS is fully compatible with the concurrent session filter.

Reading quickly your post, I guess that after the session is invalidated, the concurrent session filter redirects the user to a protected page which makes a CAS roundrip to authenticate and triggers again the concurrent session filter ... infinite loop...

You should set the expiredURL to a unprotected url: http://static.springsource.org/sprin...ionFilter.html.

Best regards,
    Jérôme

Comment

Originally posted by beku8 View Post
      I have tried to limit my concurrent users in my spring app.
      I am using CAS 3.5 & spring security 3.1.0

I have succeeded to configure concurrent session management with CONCURRENT_SESSION_FILTER without CAS. But with CAS, no success. I thought I could replace FORM_LOGIN_FILTER with CAS_FILTER such like that: (omitted some of the config)

Code:

<security:http entry-point-ref="casEntryPoint" use-expressions="true">
      	 	<security:intercept-url pattern="/" access="permitAll"/>
          	        <security:intercept-url pattern="/param" access="hasRole('ROLE_USER')"/>

<security:custom-filter position="CONCURRENT_SESSION_FILTER" ref="concurrencyFilter"/>
      	 	<security:custom-filter position="CAS_FILTER" ref="casFilter" />
      	 	<security:session-management session-authentication-strategy-ref="sas" />
      	 	 <!-- for single logout -->
      	 	<security:logout logout-success-url="/cas-logout.jsp"/>
          	        <security:custom-filter ref="requestSingleLogoutFilter" before="LOGOUT_FILTER"/>
          	        <security:custom-filter ref="singleLogoutFilter" before="CAS_FILTER"/>
      	 </security:http>

<bean id="casFilter" class="org.springframework.security.cas.web.CasAuthenticationFilter">
      	 	<property name="sessionAuthenticationStrategy" ref="sas"></property>
      	    <property name="authenticationManager" ref="authenticationManager"/>
      	  </bean>

<bean id="concurrencyFilter" class="org.springframework.security.web.session.ConcurrentSessionFilter">
      		<property name="sessionRegistry" ref="sessionRegistry" />
      		<property name="expiredUrl" value="/session-expired.htm" />
      	  </bean>

<bean id="sas" class="org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.ConcurrentSessionControlStrategy">
      		<constructor-arg name="sessionRegistry" ref="sessionRegistry" />
      		<property name="maximumSessions" value="1" />
      	  </bean>

<bean id="sessionRegistry" class="org.springframework.security.core.session.SessionRegistryImpl" />
      And then it lead to an infinite redirect loop on authentication with cas server.
      I traced the log file and figured what was happening

Code:
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.authentication.ProviderManager - Authentication attempt using org.springframework.security.cas.authentication.CasAuthenticationProvider
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.cas.authentication.CasAuthenticationProvider - serviceUrl = https://localhost:8443/multisource/j_spring_cas_security_check
      DEBUG: com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetailsService - Detected authorities for user koala are:
      DEBUG: com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetailsService - ROLE_USER
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.ConcurrentSessionControlStrategy - Invalidating session with Id '8E8F210E2138C80502AEAC7EE6303FA7' and migrating attributes.
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.session.HttpSessionEventPublisher - Publishing event: org.springframework.security.web.session.HttpSessionDestroyedEvent[source=org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade@139d891]
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.session.HttpSessionEventPublisher - Publishing event: org.springframework.security.web.session.HttpSessionCreatedEvent[source=org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade@1a6ac39]
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.authentication.session.ConcurrentSessionControlStrategy - Started new session: 9571DCAC11C4C684C5239E3323304FEE
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.core.session.SessionRegistryImpl - Removing session 9571DCAC11C4C684C5239E3323304FEE from principal's set of registered sessions
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.core.session.SessionRegistryImpl - Removing principal com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetails@f87478 from registry
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.cas.web.CasAuthenticationFilter - serviceTicketRequest = true
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.cas.web.CasAuthenticationFilter - Authentication success. Updating SecurityContextHolder to contain: org.springframework.security.cas.authentication.CasAuthenticationToken@e0f3e7e7: Principal: com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetails@f87478; Credentials: [PROTECTED]; Authenticated: true; Details: org.springframework.security.web.authentication.WebAuthenticationDetails@166c8: RemoteIpAddress: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1; SessionId: 8E8F210E2138C80502AEAC7EE6303FA7; Granted Authorities: ROLE_USER Assertion: org.jasig.cas.client.validation.AssertionImpl@174f6ef Credentials (Service/Proxy Ticket): ST-92-EiLGxlhtBnvqNAOGfNny-cas01.example.org
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.authentication.SavedRequestAwareAuthenticationSuccessHandler - Redirecting to DefaultSavedRequest Url: http://localhost:8080/multisource/param
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.DefaultRedirectStrategy - Redirecting to 'http://localhost:8080/multisource/param'
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.context.HttpSessionSecurityContextRepository - SecurityContext stored to HttpSession:8E8F210E2138C80502AEAC7EE6303FA7 '[email protected]3e7e7: Authentication: org.springframework.security.cas.authentication.CasAuthenticationToken@e0f3e7e7: Principal: com.fm.multisource.security.CustomUserDetails@f87478; Credentials: [PROTECTED]; Authenticated: true; Details:  SessionId: ];org.springframework.security.web.authentication.WebAuthenticationDetails@166c8: RemoteIpAddress: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1; Granted Authorities: ROLE_USER Assertion: org.jasig.cas.client.validation.AssertionImpl@174f6ef Credentials (Service/Proxy Ticket): ST-92-EiLGxlhtBnvqNAOGfNny-cas01.example.org'
      DEBUG: org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityContextPersistenceFilter - SecurityContextHolder now cleared, as request processing completed
      If you look carefully(look at the bolded texts from the log):
      1. CasAuthenticationProvider authenticates the user
      2. ConcurrentSessionControlStrategy creates new session, copies details from the current and invalidates the current session
      3. CasAuthenticationFilter registers with an invalidated session
      4. Because of using invalidated session, it would loop back to the step 1 and repeats infinitely

Am I missing something? Is it a bug? Or is CAS just not meant to work with ConcurrentSessionFilter?
      I think your example is missing some information. But as a reference, I have a concurrent session filter running on my app with cas and haven't encountered issues.

Have you tried not using your custom filters?

Comment

Hi arthomps,

I checked it on a little demo project so I think I have no filter conflicts.
        Does my config look somewhat similar to yours? Did you configure as similar to FORM_LOGIN_FILTER approach from the reference book? And also what versions are you using?
        If you could share your cas-security config file I would appreciate very much.

Thanks for your time for stopping by and replying.

Comment

Spring security 3.1. I don't immediately know the cas version.

The forum says I have "too many images to post my config" - so here's a pastebin. http://pastebin.com/w21xCecJ

Comment

Ok thanks arthomps.

I have quickly reviewed but not an apparent difference. I guess I have to give some more tries.

Comment

Working...
            X