X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AuthenticationSuccessHandler not getting called

I'm just getting my feet wet with Spring and Spring Security, and I feel I must be missing something fundamental to the authentication configuration/process. After successful authentication, I need to redirect to one of several pages (sub-applications), depending upon how the user authenticated and their roles.

It was my understanding that I would have to write a custom AuthenticationSuccessHandler and override onAuthenticationSuccess(). I did that, but that class isn't getting called, so Spring Security just redirects to "/" by default I guess (where I get a 404). If I manually navigate to the proper page after authentication, it loads fine. Am I misconfigured?
    Code:
    <beans:bean id="myCustomAuthenticationProvider" class="com.company.MyAuthenticationProvider" >
    <!-- this works fine -->
    </beans:bean>

<beans:bean id="myAuthenticationSuccessHandler" class="com.company.MyAuthenticationSuccessHandler">
    <!-- This never gets called -->

<beans:bean id="myAuthenticationEntryPoint" class="com.company.MyAuthenticationProcessingFilterEntryPoint">
        	<!-- This just appends to the querystring -->
       	<beans:property name="loginFormUrl" value="/login.html"/>
        	<beans:property name="forceHttps" value="true"/>

<beans:bean id="customAuthenticationProcessingFilter" class="com.company.MyAuthenticationProcessingFilter">
    	<!-- this invalidates existing session before calling super.attemptAuthentication(...) -->
    	<beans:property name="authenticationManager" ref="authenticationManager" />

<!-- Is this line configured wrong??? -->
    	<beans:property name="authenticationSuccessHandler" ref="myAuthenticationSuccessHandler" />

<beans:property name="allowSessionCreation" value="true" />

<authentication-manager alias='authenticationManager' >
    	<authentication-provider ref="myCustomAuthenticationProvider" />
    </authentication-manager>
    <http auto-config="false" entry-point-ref="myAuthenticationEntryPoint" 
        		authentication-manager-ref="authenticationManager">

<custom-filter ref="customAuthenticationProcessingFilter" position="FORM_LOGIN_FILTER" />

What does MyAuthenticationProcessingFilter look like? Can you use a tool like FireFox Tamper Data to see what the HTTP request/responses are after loging in? You might also enable debug logging in Spring Security and see if the logs help any.

Comment

The filter gets the session and invalidates it if it already existed, then creates a new one. Then it returns super.attemptAuthentication(request,response); Does that by itself say anything to you?

I used Chrome's developer tools to get the header/post data.

The login posts to j_spring_security_check with the correct form fields

j_spring_security_check responds with a 302. Header's location is just the app's root. It never enters the MyAuthenticationSuccessHandler to do the custom redirection.
      Last edited by VibrantIce; Jun 18th, 2012, 09:04 AM. Reason: Additional info added about http headers

Comment

Originally posted by VibrantIce View Post
        The filter gets the session and invalidates it if it already existed, then creates a new one. Then it returns super.attemptAuthentication(request,response); Does that by itself say anything to you?
        Something but not enough For example, what is the super class? Can you post the code?

I used Chrome's developer tools to get the header/post data.

The login posts to j_spring_security_check with the correct form fields

j_spring_security_check responds with a 302. Header's location is just the app's root. It never enters the MyAuthenticationSuccessHandler to do the custom redirection.
        What does the debug logging look like?

Comment

I found that this was preventing the code from executing:

Code:
          position="FORM_LOGIN_FILTER"
          I changed it to:

Code:
          before="FORM_LOGIN_FILTER"
          And now it works.

Comment

Hi Vibrantice

i am having the same issue, i am working on Spring security and i have an issue where after successfulAuthentication the request is not being passed to the sucesshandler url
            i have my own CustomAuthenticationProcessingFilter which extends UsernamePasswordAuthenticationFilter and added two overridden methods as seen below
            i dont want to type the entire thing again here is the thread i have already started, can you please advice how where you able to fix this.

Hello i am working on Spring security and i have an issue where after successfulAuthentication the request is not being passed to the sucesshandler ur

Comment

Working...
            X