Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Social and threading model (using ThreadLocal)

I'm walking through the spring-social-quickstart sample. I stumpled upon the SecurityContext class which allows to remember the current user (at least as long as a single request-response phase) by wrapping a User object in a ThreadLocal object.

This made me reason about the threading model in Spring Social/Spring Web MVC. Is Spring inherently single-threaded per single HTTP request? Can I expect that there is only a single thread handling a single HTTP request?

From a security perspective, could a ThreadLocal object leak from a pooled thread into a new HTTP request thread - possibly providing a malicious user with the ThreadLocal objects of a past user?

Honestly, this question is a bit out of my area and is really more a question for the Spring Security guys, as SecurityContext is part of Spring Security, not Spring Social or Spring MVC. I'll move this thread to that forum.

Comment

Thanks for moving this post to a better forum. I'd say that my question generally relates to Spring MVC and how it internally works with threads. By the way, in the spring-social-quickstart sample, its "SecurityContext" doesn't extend or implement Spring Social's SecurityContext.

Comment

Working...
      X