Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Compatibility with AclCache and Spring 3.1 @Cacheable ehCache support? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility with AclCache and Spring 3.1 @Cacheable ehCache support?

Hi Folks --

We've had Spring Security's ACL support running in an application for a while now. While attempting to introduce a caching layer (beyond ACLs) for the application that uses it, I've run into what seems to be a conflict between the org.springframework.security.acls.domain.EhCacheBa sedAclCache implementation and Spring 3.1's (3.1.1 in my case) EhCache provider to support @Cacheable.

After configuring my cacheManager for the application's cache, I was getting an exception telling me that there was already a cacheManager established, and that they need to be unique in order to be wired. Makes perfect sense. I then recalled that Spring Security was also using EhCache to support caching of the ACLs.

What I thought was the (sort of) intelligent thing to do was to change

Code:
       <!-- Declare an acl cache-->
        <bean id="aclCache" class="org.springframework.security.acls.domain.EhCacheBasedAclCache">
            <constructor-arg>
                <bean class="org.springframework.cache.ehcache.EhCacheFactoryBean">
                    <property name="cacheManager">
                        <bean class="org.springframework.cache.ehcache.EhCacheManagerFactoryBean"/>
                    </property>
                    <property name="cacheName" value="aclCache"/>
                </bean>
            </constructor-arg>
        </bean>
    to

Code:
        <!-- Declare an acl cache-->
        <bean id="aclCache" class="org.springframework.security.acls.domain.EhCacheBasedAclCache">
            <constructor-arg>
                <bean class="org.springframework.cache.ehcache.EhCacheFactoryBean">
                    <property name="cacheManager" ref="cacheManager2"/>
                    <property name="cacheName" value="aclCache"/>
                </bean>
            </constructor-arg>
        </bean>
    where "cacheManager2" was the name I had given to the cacheManager I declared to use for the application itself. It seems that Spring Security's constructor is using the normal net.sf EhCacheManager class... a bit of the stacktrace here:

Code:
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot convert value of type [org.springframework.cache.ehcache.EhCacheCacheManager] to required type [net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager] for property 'cacheManager': no matching editors or conversion strategy found
    	at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.convertIfNecessary(TypeConverterDelegate.java:241) ~[spring-beans-3.1.1.RELEASE.jar:3.1.1.RELEASE]
    	at org.springframework.beans.BeanWrapperImpl.convertIfNecessary(BeanWrapperImpl.java:470) ~[spring-beans-3.1.1.RELEASE.jar:3.1.1.RELEASE]
    	... 63 common frames omitted

I wondered if anyone could point me to any resources that describe how to use these two Spring features together? I can't imagine I'm the first one to try.

I'd appreciate any help!

Matt

To follow up on this, downgrading EhCache from version 2.5.1 to version 2.4.7 solved the problem. Hope it saves someone else a minute or two!

-Matt

Comment

Working...
    X