Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I think the correct question would be that does Spring (Spring source, VMWare and what they are doing) has a future.

As an outsider (a bit fanboy perhaps) I would say definitely.

Spring ROO is a tool to emit Spring based code. It is in the realm of static languages so for dynamic languages you would look to Groovy and grails.

You can not directly compare Django with ROO, same is the case with Rails. Their target audience is completely different. ROO is meant to give you a platform to work on and not do every thing for you. If you think that the platform should have certain features and ROO does not provide it, you are always welcome to extend with plugins.

There were very good reasons when Google started their GAE in python only and then there were very good reasons to include Java as well. Now they have also seen very good reasons to include SQL server in GAE (they didn't have it before).

So ROO has a future, with a very solid backing from SpringSource. So you can invest in this platform without a doubt. In reality you are investing in Spring it's self, Roo is just a facet of it.

I am sure there are people who can answer much better than me over here, I am interested to listen to what other say about this question.

Comment

Great, you definitely motivate me to use ROO...

Comment

Hi,

Please, I am not sure if there is in Spring (or Spring ROO), the technology to have :
        - wokflow management (to modelize the process of editing, validating, publishing...)

- content repository (to have versioning, historic, and maybe simultaneous work on an article...)

If no, is it possible to use them with Jackrabbit ? Or can you advice me the adequate technology to fill these requirement ?

Tkx,

Comment

I'm unaware of any such technologies in Spring itself.

For your versioning and CMS though, I'll still echo what other people are saying and grab Alfresco. You can have the open source version for free, and it has a lot of nice restful APIs that you can use to integrate it with your app.

Architecturally, what you want is not one app that has all of these functionalities, but a web-app acting as the integration point for different technologies, often running in seperate apps in your domain.

My own project (large public sector CMS) has both Alfresco and Solr running on dedicated servers, but the end-users do not interact with them, our CMS and integration applications do. You are leveraging thousands of man-hours that has gone into getting those applications as good as they are in their domain.

Honestly though, I do think it would take more than a month to become proficient in working with all of the techs you could combine with Roo. Roo itself does not dictate any long term design choices though. Every single part of what a default Roo application uses can be pulled out, its just a matter of getting to know where it puts things.

Comment

ok, step by step I am seeing more clearly the desing of my application.

But, Alfresco is not free ($$$) ? So I can not interact with it without paying, isnt it ?

I agree with you when you talk about the design. I want a backend for the organisation, creating the content (articles, foto, advertising...), and a web site that show all the work done. That is why, to help my community to work 'easily', I want to offer them a repository content, a search (Solr), and I need to control the workflow (validating before publishing).

What is happening is that I am really interesting by Magnolia, dotCMS or JAHIA but they are expensive. I do not have money to pay them, so I think that I will be able to UNIFY powerfull tecnologies to construct my 'CMS-like' quickly (max = 6 months)...and that SPRING ROO will help me to be the most productible as possible

I will look for Alfresco, but in general, I think that I prefer to be depedent to a free tool rather than a paying one. All these Open CMS are under GPL, then LGPL then they are paying, or you need to pay to have their most interesting feature.

Now, one important thing I am looking for is a collaborative tool (+ optional workflow), that is free ($$$) and that works on GAE (and if comptible with Spring it would be perfect).

tks,

Comment

Hi,

I have asking others communities and they have said me that ROO is not a good choice for BIG and COMPLEX project...That it is good to start the project (Maeven..), and then to separate ourself to ROO and to manage component individually.

Last but not least, it is said that we can use one server for the search (solr), one server for the repository (Alfresco ) and so on...But if I want a cheap infrastructure to save money, is it possible to have all in one server ?

Tks,

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Murray View Post
                I'm unaware of any such technologies in Spring itself.

For your versioning and CMS though, I'll still echo what other people are saying and grab Alfresco. You can have the open source version for free, and it has a lot of nice restful APIs that you can use to integrate it with your app.

> Ok, so does it mean that I can dl the code of Alfresco, then do my own application with it, and I can do my business with my soft (is it legal) ?

Architecturally, what you want is not one app that has all of these functionalities, but a web-app acting as the integration point for different technologies, often running in seperate apps in your domain.

My own project (large public sector CMS) has both Alfresco and Solr running on dedicated servers, but the end-users do not interact with them, our CMS and integration applications do. You are leveraging thousands of man-hours that has gone into getting those applications as good as they are in their domain.

> I totally agree, and I would like to know more about it, about the architecture, how proceding... I do not know...do you have any website to recommend me ?

Honestly though, I do think it would take more than a month to become proficient in working with all of the techs you could combine with Roo. Roo itself does not dictate any long term design choices though. Every single part of what a default Roo application uses can be pulled out, its just a matter of getting to know where it puts things.
                > So you are saying, that ROO is not a good choice for large project ? But I do not understand why ?

Tkx,

Comment

Roo + hard work = success (any project)

Tossing questions here and there to see what sticks to the wall; probably not.

Thank you
                  jD

Comment

Ok, I will stop asking questions because, you already give me a hand and I have a better understood of my situation. So, can you (ultimately), confirm me that 'it is not stupid' (loss of time and energy) to develop my own application (used by my startup and important for my business) with ROO (I need the following functionalities) :

// common to others CMS features

* RBAC (user's permissions)
                    * OpenID
                    * XSS SECURITY
                    * Versionning + repository
                    * search
                    * managing taxonomy
                    * simple workflow (edit, validate, publish)
                    * forum
                    * SEO

// and this is more or less the original part I want

* own user inteface (WIZIWIG) to create the articles
                    * multilinguistic backend and frontend
                    * manage multi site + auto generate squeletor
                    * own way to manage adverts (DFP's API) + accounting
                    * internal communication tool (gmail ???)
                    * special Google Map interaction
                    * will do my own dashboard to have an overview of the production / business / marketing indicator

Most of people recommand to use an existing CMS because it has been done by a lot of experts during many years...but I do not want a CMS that easily allow other person to deploy their website but just in order to let my contributors to work with my application. DIY I am afraid that I will encounter a lot of bug and headaches, but most of all, I am afraid to have an unsecure application. Remember that I would like to be on the GAE. Tks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X