Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't get Roo 1.1.1 to run on my Macintosh

I un-commented the echos in the roo.sh:

JAVA_HOME /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Home
    ROO_CP: /Users/Andrew/springsource/spring-roo-1.1.1.RELEASE/bin/org.apache.felix.framework-2.0.4.jar:/Users/Andrew/springsource/spring-roo-1.1.1.RELEASE/bin/org.springframework.roo.bootstrap-1.1.1.RELEASE.jar
    ROO_OSGI_FRAMEWORK_STORAGE: /Users/Andrew/springsource/spring-roo-1.1.1.RELEASE/cache
    ROO_AUTO_DEPLOY_DIRECTORY: /Users/Andrew/springsource/spring-roo-1.1.1.RELEASE/bundle
    ROO_CONFIG_FILE_PROPERTIES: /Users/Andrew/springsource/spring-roo-1.1.1.RELEASE/conf/config.properties
    ____ ____ ____
    / __ \/ __ \/ __ \
    / /_/ / / / / / / /
    / _, _/ /_/ / /_/ /
    /_/ |_|\____/\____/ 1.1.1.RELEASE [rev 156ccd6]

<- It stalls here. I have the following hardware:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB

any ideas what I'm missing?

Hi Andrew,

What version of Java is currently being used? Have you used any version of Roo prior to 1.1.1? What about if you try passing Roo a script file from the command line? (i.e. "roo script file.txt")? Is it running in a directory that already has source in it?

Thanks,

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,
      Thanks for responding. This is actually the first development I'm trying on my mac besides iPhone dev. I've done java dev since '98 but this is a first on a mac.

1) Java jdk 1.6.2
      2) My dir is ten-minutes
      3) I have not had any roo on my box prior to yesterday.
      4) I just tried passing in a file, same results.

Here is the log.roo
      // Spring Roo 1.1.1.RELEASE [rev 156ccd6] log opened at 2011-02-06 17:48:53
      // Spring Roo 1.1.1.RELEASE [rev 156ccd6] log opened at 2011-02-06 17:54:05
      // Spring Roo 1.1.1.RELEASE [rev 156ccd6] log opened at 2011-02-06 18:00:21
      // Spring Roo 1.1.1.RELEASE [rev 156ccd6] log opened at 2011-02-07 05:12:22
      // Spring Roo 1.1.1.RELEASE [rev 156ccd6] log opened at 2011-02-08 04:15:36
      // Spring Roo 1.1.1.RELEASE [rev 156ccd6] log opened at 2011-02-08 04:16:17
      quit
      // Spring Roo 1.1.1.RELEASE [rev 156ccd6] log closed at 2011-02-08 04:16:21

I have to ctl-d to close the terminal.

Thanks

Andrew

Comment

I just did a sanity check to make sure that java is installed correctly and it seems to be.

>>java -version
        java version "1.6.0_22"
        Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04-307-10M3261)
        Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03-307, mixed mode)

and to correct my earlier post, the version is 1.6.0_22

Comment

If all else fails RTFM!

Last night re-read the install instructions. Here is what I was missing:
          "If you use OS X, we strongly recommend the use of the iTerm application for terminal emulation."

Once it did that it works like a charm.
          Here is the link for iTerm: http://iterm.sourceforge.net/downloads.shtml

Comment

Hi Andrew,

Wow... I didn't even think of that. I use iTerm by default, and hadn't even thought about it when your question popped up. Sorry that I couldn't be of help, but congrats for being persistent and getting to the bottom of it!

Peter

Comment

jdk5 on OS X 10.5.8PPC

I run Roo 1.1.1.RELEASE [rev 156ccd6] under jdk build 1.5.0_26 on OS X 10.5.8 PPC and I use the Terminal app without any problems what so ever.

So possibly this problem is isolated to jdk6 or OS X 10.6. Anyone know for sure?

Comment

JDK 1.6.0_22 on Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567)

Also no problems with terminal.app on above configuration with Roo 1.1.1

Comment

Originally posted by klausJ View Post
                  Also no problems with terminal.app on above configuration with Roo 1.1.1
                  That's nice to know. I'm getting an Intel Mac this year.

This also means that the solution with xterm may not be the general answer and not "getting to the bottom of it" necessarily.
                  BTW, I thought this idea with using iTerm was for the 1.0 release and some problems with colors in the Terminal app. Where in the manual is this recommendation?

Comment

Originally posted by MiB View Post
                    BTW, I thought this idea with using iTerm was for the 1.0 release and some problems with colors in the Terminal app. Where in the manual is this recommendation?
                    That's what is written in the manual. I also didn't recognize nice the first time, when I jumped directly to chapter 1.5. The recommendation is on page 7 in chapter 1.3 Installation (try cmd-F and type "iterm" ). As I understand this, it's just for visual purposes.

However, meanwhile I switched to iTerm, since it's a bit nicer. But not such a big difference (for me).

Comment

The manual also says in the same paragraph:
                      Of course, you don't need to use iTerm - Roo will just display the updates with other console messages in that case.
                      I suppose it's very possible that KingAndrew's problem with stalling in Terminal could be caused by some other issue that is specific to his terminal configuration.

BTW, I only use the Terminal when I'm using Roo with Netbeans, which is seldom. STS 2.5.2 crashes occasionally, but still produces fine code and is very helpful. Too bad Oracle won't add ITS. or AspectJ-support to Netbeans though.

Comment

Working...
                      X