Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial/material for how to customize the ROO + GWT project?

I have been able to generate the sample project using for GWT and GAE ...
    using DATANUCLEUS and GOOGLE_APP_ENGINE similar to what is provided in the roo tutorial.

persistence setup --provider DATANUCLEUS --database GOOGLE_APP_ENGINE

But i have been struggling with the customization of the project.Going over the code that was generated .. I feel much lost and dont know where to start from ..

I saw a great post by Sujit Pal to do customization of an ROO spring MVC generated project, but i wonder if some kind soul from community would volunteer some time to do a Screen Cast or blog post to show how to do some basic customization in GWT generated project.

It would be really great if someone can create an

** Reference equivalent of the same for ROO. GWT
    http://sujitpal.blogspot.com/2010/07...th-of-ktm.html

+1

The only real "documentation" I've seen on the GWT patterns that Roo uses is from the Google I/O session, but even that was lacking any code examples (since, understandably, they were still writing/designing the code). At this point, this is my main show-stopper. I want to use Roo to get me started on a project but I'll definitely need to make significant changes from the generated UI....and I can't get comfortable doing that with no guide.

Please get some documentation together soon.

Thanks.

Comment

+1
      practical example including inheritance, customized authentication and a decent documentation would be extremely helpful to stay loyal to this long promised product at this point

Arash

Comment

+1

Totally agree with this...

practical example including inheritance, customized authentication(Spring Security 3) and a decent documentation

Comment

I totally agree, a simple blog post explaining the generated code a bit would be great!

Comment

Rewrite of Entire Application

Although after spending some time on the expense project i realized that there is a significant gap between the Code that is generated using gwt setup and the End application that was demoed in the end. As far as i can tell the entire application was a rewrite.

Comment

+1

I would like to see an example of how to modify generated Roo + GWT application too. Something to get me started and to give me a feel where to focus. As a beginner I am really strugling with all these techonologies (GWT, Roo, java, hibernate, spring, ...) and everything seems so dispersed :-(

Comment

@lalkidar - 'As far as i can tell the entire application was a rewrite' ...

This sums up my concerns ... I've got the basics of my application running with Roo + GWT, but now I want to customize the generated screens and I haven't been able to find any documentation which details the best way to do this (hacking on the generated files doesn't work as Roo blows them away when you modify the related entity).

Does anyone have any good info about this?

Yazy.

Comment

Am struggling with the same issue.
                  Can generate a working Roo + GWT project but am stuck when it comes to mofifying the user interface. Can't find any documentation or help for this on the web.

For example would like to be able to adjust which entity fields appear in my CellTable,
                  adjust column widths and positions or add a textbox and button to filter the retrieved data for specific entities.

But there doesn't seem to be a way to customise the views for GWT Roo projects. You can customise the code in the java file of your entities by overriding the methods in the aspectJ files which allows a certain amount of customisation. But to do anything more substantial you definitely need some way to customise the GUI elements of the app without any risk of Roo overwriting your changes.

Surely this can't be right. I can't see that a Roo GWT app is much use to anyone if this is the case.

Comment

When I followed the link:
                    http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/do...l/roo-sts.html

I used the exact expenses.roo, but after importing project into eclipse, I got below compile error:
                    ===============
                    Description Resource Path Location Type
                    org.springsource.roo.extrack.server.domain.Employe e can not be found in source packages. Check the inheritance chain from your module; it may not be inheriting a required module or a module may not be adding its source path entries properly. EmployeeProxy.java /Expense/src/main/java/org/springsource/roo/extrack/client/managed/request line 9 GWT problems marker
                    ===============

No idea what the problem is and how to resolve it... Can anyone please help?

Comment

Any updates on customizing the UI?

Comment

I am also in same boat

I want to modify the UI, don't know how, Also how to implement security in that

Comment

Any updates on this? I'm also stuck...

Comment

Take a look at the Jira issue tracker: http://jira.springframework.org/browse/ROO

The 1.1.1 release (due on Friday) has issues ROO-1280 & ROO-1443 which appear to address this problem.

Hopefully once these problems are fixed it will be possible to make changes to your Roo projects views without the risk of Roo overwriting them next time you make changes to an entity.

Comment

Hey Everyone, better documentation is coming very shortly. First we needed to make the GWT addon more Roo-like in that we wanted to establish fairly explicit rules on what Roo will and won't touch. This proved a tad challenging due to GWT not support Roo's ace in the hole, ITDs.

To achieve the same sort of functionality we have used an abstract-concrete model where Roo maintains the abstract and you are free to override in the concrete - we never touch the concrete, NEVER. This works well and you can now launch Roo without fear of it blowing away your precious edits. It also provides an experience consist to other frontend addons where your changes to the entities cause Roo to manage the UI.

Comment

Working...
                              X