Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debug Roo Startup

Spring Roo: 1.1.0.M3 [rev e66e029]

Is there any way to log what roo is doing when it initially starts up?

I am experiencing a large delay everytime I start up roo and issue the first command. It didn't used to happen so I am thinking I added something to my POM that is causing the dependency check to take a long time on startup.

How can I check that?

When I run mvn clean outside of roo, it takes 1 sec.

If I start up roo, and then immediately issue perform clean, it takes 1m 20s before it even starts to process the command. (i.e. The first [Thread] message [INFO] Scanning for projects, appears after 1m20s) then the clean takes 2s to complete.

Immediately running the command again, 1s. Exit roo, start up roo, issue the perform clean command and same 1m20s delay)

The entire time it's "delaying" the "Please wait - still loading" flash message is present.

This leads me to believe that whatever roo is trying to do on startup, is taking a long time, but I have no idea what it is trying to do, is there anyway I can tell roo to log it to a file?

Could I have a bad repository setup in the POM that is having to wait until it times out? Also, I might have a bad local repository, is there an easy way to tell maven to rebuild the local repository?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by btlife; Sep 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM. Reason: added Spring Roo Version

Sounds like you're using Roo within the IDE (Eclipse/STS). I have experience delays like that when using the Roo plugin for Eclipse/STS. When using Roo outside of the IDE via the terminal shell, it has no delays. What fixed it for me on the IDE side was to cleanup the Eclipse plugins directory. Maybe a clean install of Eclipse would do the same and just reinstall the latest plugins you need. However by the time I had done all that, I found that Roo stand alone outside of the IDE works best anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrimard View Post
      Sounds like you're using Roo within the IDE (Eclipse/STS).
      I'm using ROO standalone, not through STS plugin. I have a shell prompt opened and roo running in it. And then STS running as well. The ROO slow down occurs whether I have STS running or not.

Thanks for the response

Comment

Odd. I'm running the same version of Roo as you, but I don't have the delay in the standalone shell. Is your project on your local hard drive, or across the network?

Comment

Running locally, that's why I am thinking I did something to the POM or the repository, that is making it search a bunch of places it doesn't need to, and it has to wait for the timeouts.

Comment

Originally posted by btlife View Post
            Running locally, that's why I am thinking I did something to the POM or the repository, that is making it search a bunch of places it doesn't need to, and it has to wait for the timeouts.
            It's project related, if I start roo in a new folder (same computer), and load up one of the sample scripts, it responds immediately

Comment

I am getting a large delay when it hits the persistence setup command in the sample scripts.

Both with HYPERSONIC_PERSISTENT and MYSQL.

Could one of the dependencies from there be causing it?

Comment

I also am running TortiseSVN latest version. Wonder if that may be causing it.
                I also did a svn get onto my other computer, fresh install of STS 2.5.0.M3 and it's still running slow on start up Roo after first command is issued.

Comment

So I guess the questions I am wondering about are:

1. Is there some kind of log I can turn on to see what roo is doing after I issue the first command? So I can try and identify where the slowness is?
                  2. Is there a way to tell maven to rebuild the local repository? So I can make sure there isn't any bad things in the local repository?

Thanks

Comment

You can simply delete the folder containing your local Maven repo, and Maven will download any required artifacts afresh when it needs them.

Comment

Suggestions on debugging slow issue in ROO Shell

It seem to be getting worse. Right now all I do is open a command prompt, change into the project directory, and type roo. Roo starts up, I type help and the flash message "Please wait - still loading" shows up in upper right. And it "processes/hangs" for like 15minutes and then displays the help message, and everything is quick again. It's just happens when you first go in and type the first command, doesn't matter what command.

Any ideas on how I can debug this?

Additional Symptoms:
                      1. On creation of brand new roo project hangs or is REALLY slow when it executes persistence setup --provider HIBERNATE --database HYPERSONIC_PERSISTENT (I ran script vote.roo)
                      2. When the "daily" update Maven triggers, it seems to hang on the JBoss repository, meaning the message it hangs on is checking updates on JBoss repository.

Spring ROO: 1.1.0.M3
                      TortiseSVN
                      Windows XP

Not running the Roo Shell through STS, doesn't seem to matter if STS is running or not, same symptoms.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can figure out what it is trying to do while it is taking so long, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Try using:
                        • the latest Maven release/milestone/RC
                        • a Maven repository manager like Nexus

Comment

doesn't seem to have anything to do with maven in my case.
                          i reverse engineered a database at my office and it contained 212 tables. after doing so, every time i start roo on that project, it literally sits there for 4+ hours before the first command will finish.
                          The cpu shows that roo is using about 81 meg in memory and 25% utilization (quad xeon box). once it finishes whatever it is doing, it behaves normally.
                          i waited 5 hours for perform eclipse to finish today. not so cool.
                          it seems like the more classes/entities you have in your roo project, the slower it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by jopierce View Post
                            doesn't seem to have anything to do with maven in my case.
                            i reverse engineered a database at my office and it contained 212 tables. after doing so, every time i start roo on that project, it literally sits there for 4+ hours before the first command will finish.
                            The cpu shows that roo is using about 81 meg in memory and 25% utilization (quad xeon box). once it finishes whatever it is doing, it behaves normally.
                            i waited 5 hours for perform eclipse to finish today. not so cool.
                            it seems like the more classes/entities you have in your roo project, the slower it gets.
                            just an update.. it doesn't seem to matter what project i start it on.. empty project or existing.. it just sits around for a while with the "please wait, still loading" message on the screen.

Comment

I think I have an idea what is going on here, at least in my case.

Roo appears to be indexing all of the managed entities, or at least checking them to make sure they're still present. I deleted a few and noticed in STS that it recreated them.

Now, this itself may not be slowing things down, but my organization recently installed McAfee Enterprise from Sophos (both suck). With McAfee they've enabled on-access scanning, and we can't disable it. Every single file roo accesses is showing up in the scanner. That's crippling the performance of roo.

If I could load this DB on my home system, I would.
                              I need to see if I can convince one of the infrastructure people to turn off mcafee temporarily so I can find out if it really is slowing everything down.

This is quite insane.. I should go looking for a new job.

Comment

Working...
                              X