X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roo/NetBeans tutorial

I have searched for a tutorial like this in the net, but I have found nothing.

How can one integrate Roo with NetBeans ?

Can the Roo team make such a tutorial ?

Thanks

First step would be to obtain and install AspectJ support into NetBeans. I believe there is some functionality available, but don't know how good it is. This should get you going, using Spring Roo itself from the command line.

Regarding further Spring Roo integration like the STS integrated Roo console, I would encourage you to raise this as a feature request with the NetBeans team. Our own tooling efforts are focused on Eclipse/STS--however we are happy to assist other tooling vendors where possible to support our technology stack.

Comment

Follow these basic instructions to use Roo with Netbeans

http://wiki.netbeans.org/SpringRoo

Comment

I think that guide is somewhat misleading. As Netbeans is lacking access to the fields and methods Roo put in AspectJ itd-files they are unavailable for code completion and code must be written from memory or by manually opening the itd-files and lookup references and structure. You also have to ignore all guaranteed false errors, that could be proper errors, but there's no way to know. It just isn't worth it.

I even filed a bug report about the lack of itd-suppport and it has "won't fix" status. See Full AspectJ and AOP support.

Just getting any AspectJ support in NB was an adventure, at least in NB 6.8, but AFAIK the support is not better in later versions, though I haven't really made an effort in the last 9 months updating myself on this.

As Roo projects are very nicely made maven projects I've had no problems building and deploying them with Netbeans. For me this is not enough.

Even as I like Netbeans for many reasons — though I'm stuck on NB 6.8 — I still recommend dropping Netbeans for Spring Roo development and take up Springsource Tools Suite instead. It's way more effective.
        In addition to full Spring support I also appreciate that Infinitest can run on STS and a hundred other things I'd have to give up in Netbeans. The latest STS versions even runs on my OS X 10.5.8 PPC machine (crashes 5-6 times a day, but that is not enough to put me off). I'll have to install Debian to be able to run Netbeans 6.9 or 7 on it.
        Last edited by MiB; Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:38 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Why would you need debian for Netbeans 6.9/7.0? there are pre-packaged 6/9 and 7.0 for win, linux, and osx..

Unfortunately, that wont help the AspectJ/ITD issue..

Comment

Originally posted by jrussell View Post
            Why would you need debian for Netbeans 6.9/7.0? there are pre-packaged 6/9 and 7.0 for win, linux, and osx..
            I said I'm on OS X 10.5.8 PPC right? The latest jdk from Apple is 1.5. I've tried community builds of openjdk7 with both Netbeans 7, STS and Eclipse. I couldn't get it to work. Perhaps if I compiled my own, but I'm a Java Developer and know close to nothing about building a jdk from some C?? source. I'd be keen to learn if someone got me started though.

Even with Debian PPC Squeeze (version 6) installed I've found that Eclipse Helios is the latest version that can be used under Linux PPC — unless there is a version for another PPC distribution. Anyone know of one?— and so far I haven't been able to get Maven to work properly. I need to learn the proper way to set my path and my MAVEN_HOME I guess. :-)
            Originally posted by jrussell View Post
            Unfortunately, that wont help the AspectJ/ITD issue..
            Which is a showstopper to me. I find Netbeans much more stable though than Eclipse / STS. But that could be my aging jdk.
            Last edited by MiB; Sep 7th, 2011, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MiB View Post
              I said I'm on OS X 10.5.8 PPC right?
              My apologies, I didnt catch the PPC part.. that is a bit of a bummer, shame on Apple for that!

Which is a showstopper to me. I find Netbeans much more stable though than Eclipse / STS. But that could be my aging jdk.
              The reason I was on this thread is I much prefer NetBeans over Eclipse (any form) and was looking for AspectJ/ITD support..

Comment

There is an AJDT-plugin I've written about, but even though it runs it's now abandoned I think and does not have ITD-support. I assume the source is available and could be used by someone that wanted to do further develop it. But no one including Oracle seem willing to do that. I wrote a bug report about it and it was turned down as "won't fix".

For whatever reason Netbeans seem to have too few users to warrant such a plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by MiB View Post
                  There is an AJDT-plugin I've written about, but even though it runs it's now abandoned I think and does not have ITD-support. I assume the source is available and could be used by someone that wanted to do further develop it. But no one including Oracle seem willing to do that. I wrote a bug report about it and it was turned down as "won't fix".

For whatever reason Netbeans seem to have too few users to warrant such a plugin.
                  What a shame, that's typical Oracle politics: they don't want to support technologies that would help Spring (and/or Eclipse) succeed.

On the other hand, now it'll be easier for me to convince a coworker that Eclipse is better then Netbeans :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X