X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GWT as default for web tier

Hey there, I am very happy about the integration of GWT into Spring Roo. Playing around a little bit, I just wondered if it would be possible to integrate GWT as default into a new project. After running "gwt setup" and "mvn tomcat:run" I would like to have the UI based on GWT. Is this possible?

Best regards,
    Matthias

If you use "gwt setup" and don't use any of our "controller" commands you will have a GWT based UI (and no traditional request-response MVC based UI). Note that "mvn gwt:run" is the recommended command to load a GWT development server. It means if something changes in your project (eg Roo recreates a file, or you edit one in your IDE/editor) the running browser will update as soon as you hit refresh. "mvn tomcat:run" will, on the other hand, run up a compiled GWT application (not the GWT development mode server).

Comment

To get the compiled version one must do "mvn package", right? I has stumbled over this when trying the first gwt project because normaly it's possible to run a project with the inplace tomcat or jetty without packaging the application.

Perhaps this should be checked or at least noted anywhere.

Comment

Yes, you generally use "mvn package" to cause a compilation of the sources to JavaScript. However, some other goals are available if you'd prefer to use thme: http://mojo.codehaus.org/gwt-maven-p...ugin-info.html

Comment

So as a consequence the "gwt:" goals have to depend on "mvnackage". Well, I don't know if this inter-mojo-dep is possible but at least good to know :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Alex View Post
            If you use "gwt setup" and don't use any of our "controller" commands you will have a GWT based UI (and no traditional request-response MVC based UI). Note that "mvn gwt:run" is the recommended command to load a GWT development server. It means if something changes in your project (eg Roo recreates a file, or you edit one in your IDE/editor) the running browser will update as soon as you hit refresh. "mvn tomcat:run" will, on the other hand, run up a compiled GWT application (not the GWT development mode server).
            For me 'mvn gwt:run' works just fine but "mvn tomcat:run" generates an error. I had tried compiling the GWT application using "mvn package" as well as "mvn gwt:compile". Here is the stack trace of the error. Am I missing something?

Code:
            javax.servlet.ServletException: Circular view path [index]: would dispatch back to the current handler URL [/gwttest/app/index] again. Check your ViewResolver setup! (Hint: This may be the result of an unspecified view, due to default view name generation.)
            	org.springframework.web.servlet.view.InternalResourceView.prepareForRendering(InternalResourceView.java:275)
            	org.springframework.web.servlet.view.InternalResourceView.renderMergedOutputModel(InternalResourceView.java:214)
            	org.springframework.web.servlet.view.AbstractView.render(AbstractView.java:250)
            	org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.render(DispatcherServlet.java:1060)
            	org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:798)
            	org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:716)
            	org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:644)
            	org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:549)
            	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)
            	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
            	org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.NormalRewrittenUrl.doRewrite(NormalRewrittenUrl.java:195)
            	org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.RuleChain.handleRewrite(RuleChain.java:159)
            	org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.RuleChain.doRules(RuleChain.java:141)
            	org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriter.processRequest(UrlRewriter.java:90)
            	org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriteFilter.doFilter(UrlRewriteFilter.java:417)
            	org.springframework.web.filter.HiddenHttpMethodFilter.doFilterInternal(HiddenHttpMethodFilter.java:77)
            	org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)
            	org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)
            	org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)
            	org.springframework.orm.jpa.support.OpenEntityManagerInViewFilter.doFilterInternal(OpenEntityManagerInViewFilter.java:113)

Comment

I am having the similar problem following the GWT Expense demo

Code:
              javax.servlet.ServletException: Circular view path [index]: would dispatch back to the current handler URL [/gwttest/app/index] again. Check your ViewResolver setup! (Hint: This may be the result of an unspecified view, due to default view name generation.)
              I followed the steps from the Expense demo, it gets up to a point where I can run mvn gwt:run and the app would starts. But I will get the above error as soon as I try to add an employee.

Anyone know the "correct" steps to create a working Expense project?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
              X