Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing GWT-based extensions for SpringRoo

Hi!

I've just learned about SpringRoo and think it has a lot of potential for my GWT-based projects. However, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the architecture it generates, in particular its MVP model. I'd really like to be able to use it together with the popular GWT-platform MVP framework and the associated server dispatch system.

The GWTP community started discussing this over at:
    http://groups.google.com/group/gwt-p...2cab91ccb28d40

But we'd love to get the input of Roo's veterans on the feasability of such a project.

Cheers,

Philippe

Hi Philippe

GWTP certainly has a lot of interesting looking features.

We've been working directly with the GWT team to ensure whatever we produce is extremely efficient. Both the Roo and GWT engineers are obsessed by efficiency, which is why we use static typing and code generation so extensively. :-) Anyhow, as a consequence of this we have been very careful to ensure the architecture reflects the priorities of performance, efficiency and type safety - both on large screens and small screens.

At this early stage we're focusing on finishing off the GWT 2.1 widget and request factory improvements. We have a long list of things to do. History management is included on that list. Code splitting isn't, yet.

There are no plans to add a Roo-related inherits module. So everything we do will be in GWT core, or happen via Roo at development time, or be part of an external module. If you felt there were specific features that are best obtained via GWTP, I'd certainly be happy to have that conversation. At least we could provide specific extension points in our addon-gwt so people who'd like to use GWTP could use say an addon-gwtp that would help them use it.

Do you have a Google Wave ID? It's probably a better place to discuss this in more depth.

Comment

Hi Ben,

I would define myself as "obsessed with efficiency" too. This is one of the reason GWTP relies on code generation through GWT generators and deferred binding. The other reason is that it helps reduce the number of managed source files, a feature GWTP users seem enjoy very much.

That said, I would be happy to contribute to GWT's core MVP model, and Roo's use of it. Let's take that over to Wave and feel free to invite any GWT developer interested in this. My handle is [email protected] same at gmail for email.

Cheers,

Philippe

Comment

Hi Philippe

Thanks. I'll shoot an email to Ray Ryan to figure out the best way to move this forward and be in touch with you via email/Wave.

Cheers
        Ben

Comment

Working...
        X