X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generated entity's show.jspx escapes xhtml fields

This may not be a roo specific issue, but I've developed our current codebase with the same technologies as roo and not had this issue. I have an entity with a text field where xhtml is stored. I need the xhtml to be displayed when calling <c: out value="${example.htmlText}"/>

What happens is the < and > characters are escaped and so the tags are displayed instead of interpreted... Why would this be happening? The htmlText is correct in mysql, the < and > characters are not escaped there.

Instead of displaying: hello world!
    It's now displaying: hello <em>world</em>!

HTML escaping is done by design to prevent common XSS attacks. Please read details here https://jira.springsource.org/browse/ROO-512. To disable XML escaping in your c:out tag you need to add the following attribute to it:

escapeXml="false"

However keep in mind that your page is now exposed to XSS attacks. You can test this by simply entering <script>alert("test")</script> into your text field. So you will need to somehow deal with this situation.

HTH,
    Stefan

Comment

Stefan, thanks for clarifying. I'm well aware of the potential for XSS attacks.

Comment

Working...
      X