Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exception when starting tomcat

Hi all

I hope you can help

We are trying to use spring ROo for some quick development of a small web database app we need.

I have followed the tutorial but to no avail i have googled around and for the following error people ahve suggested adding spring web and spring-webmvc jars in to WEB-INF/lib

This hasnt made a difference

also spring -2.0.7.jar has been mentioned which i have just added to the projects build path.

Im sure its something simple as its obviously just a missing jar but i can find out what...

Thanks for help!

Code:
    23-Nov-2009 17:10:56 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
    INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: SpringSource tc Server/6.0.20.C
    23-Nov-2009 17:10:57 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
    SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/springframework/core/io/Resource
          at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.createContextLoader(ContextLoaderListener.java:57)
          at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:48)
          at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3934)
          at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4429)
          at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1045)
          at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:741)
          at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
          at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:516)
          at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:710)
          at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:587)
          at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
          at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
          at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
          at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
          at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:290)
          at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:415)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.springframework.core.io.Resource
          at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1384)
          at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1230)
          at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:320)
          ... 17 more

When you build your war (using mvn package, for example) the result should amonst other jars contain a org.springframework.core-3.0.0.RC1.jar (or RC2 if you're working against trunk) in your WEB-INF/lib that has the class that's not found. Check if it's there and please do NOT add any old Spring 2.0 jars to your war: Roo apps use Spring 3.0 (well, release candidates thereof for now).

Comment

You should also ensure you do NOT place any Spring-related JARs anywhere inside your web container's classpath (like server, lib, ext directories). The only Spring-related JARs you need are included in the Roo WAR (and automatically provided when you use mvn tomcat:run or run a server within STS/Eclipse).

Comment

Hi,

I'm getting a similar error starting the tomcat server within STS. The weird thing is that this error doesn't happen every time. Only occasionally I get stuck with this error, and restarting STS sometimes would make it go away, and other times it doesn't. I haven't figured out what causes it and how to make it go away. I haven't made any changes to jars in the classpath when this error appears or disappears. Any ideas?

Code:
        May 20, 2010 3:35:06 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
        SEVERE: Error configuring application listener of class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
        java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
        	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1384)
        	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1230)
        	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3877)
        	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4429)
        	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:741)
        	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
        	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:516)
        	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:710)
        	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:587)
        	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:290)
        	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:415)
        May 20, 2010 3:35:06 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
        SEVERE: Skipped installing application listeners due to previous error(s)

Comment

Classloader weirdness. Certainly nothing to do with Roo, though. We don't mess with your application or server classloader at any stage.

Comment

Working...
          X