Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Spring Roo production usable right now? Or is it too soon?

Is Spring Roo production usable right now? Or is it too soon? I'd like to use it for a ~100 domain object project.

Also, do I have to use eclipse with it? I appreciate that you guys are backing eclipse and all... but I hate it. I really, really hate eclipse. Did I mention I hate it?

Roo looks really promising, especially for those employers not willing to settle with grails.

Any info on Roo would be great - like your experiences, the pains you're going through, and that sort of thing.

Thanks!

For ~100 domain objects - I don't think so.

1. Spring Roo still has alot of bugs.
    2. Spring Roo don't support modules, so your jsp page with 100 CRUD objects + finders will be really giant.
    3. Editing jsp pages is frustrating.
    4. REST url support is poor ( you just cant create ie. /blog/users/form - you can create only /bloguser/form ).

I use Spring Roo only for generating up to 10-15 CRUD's just for my team, not for clients

But Spring Roo looks very promising. I'm waiting for modules support and better menu ( this menu takes too much space ).

Comment

request : is it ready for production yet?

What about now? ... is it ready for production any how?
      Thanks in advance ..

Comment

As a way to jump start a project quickly, yes it's ready. You still have to learn the relevant parts of the Spring universe and understand the design patterns that Roo utilizes, as well as how to rip out the stuff you don't want and replace it with what you want. It's a process.

You'll still need to know or study JPA, Hibernate, Tiles, jspx structure, the various Spring frameworks and so on, but that was true also without Roo. One can work outside the technologies preferred by Roo, but you need to know what you're doing.

I recommend to work with Roo 1.2M1 and beyond with the nightlies, religiously committing the project or using the backup command, so you can go back just in case a new nightly version destroys something. I usually keep 5-6 versions of Roo in my springsource folder, but only use the latest.

There are critics of Roo. You can google it.
        Last edited by MiB; Sep 26th, 2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

To add to MiB's comments

I have (this Thursday hopefully) finished my first production project using Spring Roo 1.1.5 that has around 30 domain objects and controllers. I am planning to write up the project with some of the things I have found when time allows but I thought I should add something to this thread now.

Firstly MiB is completely correct - religiously commit your project to source control. I'm using Mercurial and what I tend to do is the following: Start a branch, execute some Roo commands to make entities, add controller etc., commit the Roo changes, modify them, comment, check what Spring Roo does etc. What I have found is that this is a good way to work out what Roo will and will not do.

MiBs other point about needing to know Spring and the other Java technologies is true to a degree, especially if you are looking to produce a web application. The issue for me coming from a Struts background was the Dojo JavaScript framework in particular - it made the entire JPSX based web framework a bit mysterious. Until there are other scaffolding objects I would suggest people not familiar with Spring Web MVC and Dojo avoid Spring Roo for a critical web project - try something less ambitious first perhaps - an admin tool might be a good choice.

I did find the database and RESTful web service layer to be excellent and it looks even more promising in 1.2.0 as you can chose your preferred backend 'style' instead of having to use the ActiveRecord pattern.

So would I use Spring Roo on a production project - yes I have and I will again. Should you go into this with your eyes wide open - absolutely. If you are not familiar with the Spring technology stack then don't use Spring Roo on a project with demanding customers and tight deadlines! But if like me you have a pretty good Java background then I think Spring Roo opens up some exciting possibilities and is well worth exploring. In particular I am looking at using Spring Roo to generate (really) quick RESTful backends in Java and then produce various clients (Android/JavaScript). The JSPX views are the weakest aspect of Spring Roo and basically Java on the web in general but Roo opens the door to rapid development of Java based projects and is well worth the initial effort in my opinion.

Chris

Comment

I made a few minor clarifying changes in bold to my previous post.
            Last edited by MiB; Sep 27th, 2011, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Fellow Rooists,

I think Spring Roo (SR) has been ready for production long time ago...

What is missing? In my opinion: much more information about how-to to do things with it. Specially how-tos that connect Roo-development with real-world-typical-web development requirements. Requirements like: how-to come up with nice-good-looking-user-friendly UI -without using heavy weight, old fashion ui frameworks- using jQuery.
              How-to implement Web mobile applications. How-to enable column sorting on your grids. How to enable dynamic menus. How to calibrate performance and tons of stuff like this. Recurrent unanswered questions posted into this forum, btw.

These are pieces-of-information I've implemented and posted on my blog at http://pragmatikroo.blogspot.com/.

On the other hand: As much technology gets automatized the aviation industry, the take-of and landing would require a very-important human component all the time.
              Same thing happens with RADs and Roo in particular I guess.

B. Roogards
              jD
              Last edited by delgad9; Sep 28th, 2011, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X