X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 2.1.0 Roo Shell dead in Eclipse 3.5

I installed STS 2.1.0 on Eclipse 3.5 on Mac os 10.5.x Leopard as the per instructions at http://blog.springsource.com/2009/06...to-eclipse-35/.

When I opened the Roo shell view from Window->Show View. A window does open for Roo shell. However, I don't get any prompt to execute roo commands. The situation does not change even if I set an externally deployed Roo.

Am I missing anything? or is Eclipse Roo Shel view is broken?

Thanks
    md

Interesting, I have not tried to install STS in a Eclipse 3.5 manually as described in Christians blog post since he actually released a bundled version just a few days after. So if you could try to download the current STS 2.1.0.RC1 release, that would probably solve the problem. At least it works for me .

Regards,
    Stefan

Comment

Hi,
      I have faced the same "issue" with STS 2.1 RC1 downloaded from the Update Site, but then I have realized that it's not the problem with STS.

To start a Roo Shell you need to right click on the project configured as Roo project and choose "Spring Tools" -> "Roo Shell". This works for me.

Best regards,
      Piotr Szczepanik

Comment

I have it working too via Christian's blog post instructions. As piter75 mentioned, you have to launch the roo shell from your project structure.

This does raise a question. What happens if you have two roo shells open for the same project, one in Eclipse and another command line?

Comment

Roo helps create a new project structure. So, requiring a project structure to be present to launch Roo in eclipse is not very useful.

Basically, if you want to use Roo in Eclipse then:
          Roo in STS requires you to use Roo on the command line, create a project structure, and then use Eclipse to launch Roo shell. Shouldn't this be a bug?

Would love to here SpringSource's view on this.

TIA
          md

Comment

@mmddtmp,

I think there is a misunderstanding here . Eclipse DOES help you to create a Roo project structure via File > New > Spring Template Project > Roo Simple (based Roo 1.0.0.M2). This creates a Roo M2 compliant project structure.

Now, since the release of STS 2.1.0 RC1 we have released a new version of Roo (RC1) which integrates some minor changes to the project structure. So until the next release of the STS 2.1.0 series is made available you have this minor problem that if you create a new Roo M2 project with STS you can not configure to use Roo RC1 against that because of the different project structure assumptions.

This leaves you with two choices:

1. Use STS to create a Roo M2 project and use the integrated Roo M2 shell to work with it.

2. Use Roo RC1 shell to create a project, create eclipse artifacts (mvn eclipse:eclipse) and import into STS 2.1 RC1, then change the integrated Roo version in STS to Roo RC1 and work with your project.

The next release of STS 2.1 will contain a new project template which is compliant with Roo RC1 and you have all other combinations available to you.

So in summary, there is no Roo or STS bug but rather they are currently not 100% in sync due to different release schedules.

Hope this clears things up.

Regards,
            Stefan

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Schmidt View Post
              @mmddtmp,

2. Use Roo RC1 shell to create a project, create eclipse artifacts (mvn eclipse:eclipse) and import into STS 2.1 RC1, then change the integrated Roo version in STS to Roo RC1 and work with your project.
              I was not able to get STS 2.1.0 RC1 on Mac OS-X (Lepard) to change from the embedded M2 version to the updated RC1 version just released. See Jira issue:

https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-272

Basically I went through Properties->Spring->Roo Suppport to configure Roo to RC1 and when I do a 'version' in the Roo prompt, I am still seeing M2.

Comment

James,

this issue has already been reported and fixed post RC1. Please see a work-around posted by Stefan in http://forum.springsource.org/showpo...42&postcount=6.

Essentially you need to configure the external Roo location on a project and not on a workspace level.

HTH

Christian

Comment

Working...
                X