Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting and exporting data in UI lists

Hi,

Currently, using today“s last source from trunk, Roo“s generated UIs seems to not support sorting when listing all records for an entity.

Are there any plans for implementing that functionality??

I also would like to know if are plans for expanding the generated list to allow exporting the data to pdf or csv format.

Regards, Raśl

Hi Raul,

Thanks for your suggestions. If you get a chance it would be great to log this in our Jira as new feature requests. That way you can track the status of the issue and the community can contribute to it by developing add-ons. If you are interested you could take a stab on it yourself .

Regards,
    Stefan

Comment

Hi Stefan,

Jira tickets opened, one for sorting another for data export

http://jira.springframework.org/browse/ROO-158
      http://jira.springframework.org/browse/ROO-159

I“ll take the chance to try to implement it

Regards, raśl

Comment

Cool, that sounds like a good plan!

I am happy to assist with any questions. You can attach patches to the tickets and I'll help reviewing once we get to that stage.

Regards,
        Stefan

Comment

Hi,

The solution i“m trying to implement will use dojox Could this be a problem? Spring web flow only comes with dojo and dijit bundled

regards

Comment

Hi Raul,

Well there are several solutions to this problem, you could make it available as seperate jar, ship it with the addon and ask developers to place it in their local maven repository, you could make it available from a remote download location and have it downloaded upon request by Roo or we could ask the Spring JS project to include it in the next release .

An even easier solution would be not to use dojox and instead use straight dojo. An example for this you can find in the Spring WebFlow booking MVC samples which uses the Spring JS Ajax EventDecorator to enable pagination for the hotel search result table. You could use the same technique for sorting...

Regards,
            Stefan

Comment

Hi Stefan,

Spring AjaxEventDecorator was my first try, but it fails to me because it need Tiles (or some composition framework) to work properly. I thougth in implement basic tiles support (don“t seem very dificult) but i think it should be in a separate addon and no in the jsp one. Of course if there“s no problem with adding tiles support to jsp addon i would be more than happy to try it because is the best aproach i can imagine.

Another solution i tought was creating server side sorting using ajax and dojo, it“s feasible to add a new method in controllers to sort and use plain dojo to fire an ajax request Spring js remoting handler could do that), obtain the new ordered Table (in JSON or XML format) and replace the old one using dojo dom api, that way the programmer will have complete control over sorting, but you need to add some code to mvc addon related to a particular client technollogy uselles for example if you have Tiles support later.

So, unless i could use Tiles i think dojox is the best choice because if i could implement that i will not generate dependencies between addons

Regards, raśl

Comment

Hi Raul,

You are making indeed valid points here. In fact, I have done some exploratory work on integrating Sitemesh as a templating solution for Roo. My changes are pretty significant so I would ask you to hold off for a few weeks with your work until I have finished my work on my Roo tempalting ideas. At this stage I am not sure if we will end up using sitemesh as it exhibits some nasty side effects which make work with dojo and even CSS very hard. I may take another look at tiles in the end. So, in summary, depending on the JSP add-on, the menu add-on or the controller add-on is currently not recommended before we have a stable templating solution in place.

Regards,
                Stefan

Comment

Perfect, Stefan i can wait untill the templating work is finished or stable.

I“m sorry for not being very helpfull with that.

Regards, Raśl

Comment

Hi Stephan,

may I ask why you dropped sitemesh? Or is it still an option to use a decorator pattern framework/tool when you review the view templating engine? Just for information.

Thanks Fireball

Comment

Tiles was chosen over sitemesh mainly for the reason of the existing support of Tiles by Spring MVC, Spring Web Flow and Spring JS. Using tiles it will be easier to deal with partial page rendering etc.

Furthermore, during our tests with SiteMesh we encountered some hickups. It also seemed like the sitemesh project is currently not very active.

I think our ideas for improvements to the templating approach should make it fairly easy for you to provide a sitemesh addon. I'll share my ideas and code post the Roo 1.0 GA release.

Cheers,
                      Stefan

Comment

Working...
                      X