Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Adding SolR to SpringRoo - when the data is sourced from elsewhere Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding SolR to SpringRoo - when the data is sourced from elsewhere

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to understand the SolR add on to SpringRoo. I think I understand that it provides search functionality for new records added through the SpringRoo app. However that isn't what I need.

I have a tonne of data which is created outside of the SpringRoo app and I want to be able to display it in my SpringRoo app and search for it through SolR. It seems to me that I would create my own SolR indexes myself, and presumably point SpringRoo to my existing database.

Is this a sensible thing to expect the SolR add on to do?

Any extra tutorials or examples I should be reading? (apart from the main documentation which I think I have read)

Alex

You are likely correct. As far as I can tell, the Solr add-on is just going to provide the basic infrastructure and one implementation, based on automatically indexing after saves, updates, deletes. Think of it as a starter configuration. You can take code from there and push it in, or as example code, and just keep the configuration details as starter code.

For the most part, Roo's add-ons get you started. Then they back off. You can see that with the jms add-on - it only sets up ActiveMQ in the same Java memory space as Roo. In many cases you'll be using something else anyway, an off-vm ActiveMQ, maybe MQ Series JMS, etc... So you see the Spring config they give you and mo

FWIW, I found an issue...

I'm on a mac, so to try this out I did a 'brew install solr' and then to start solr cd'ed to
    /usr/local/Cellar/solr/3.6.1/libexec/sample
    and
    java -jar start.jar

Then figured out that the Solr add-on is using a very old 1.6.1 version of the SolrJ library, so any work done by the add-on is sent in the incorrect format. Just updating the POM file's solrj dependency to 3.6.1 fixed that. JIRA ticket needed on that one.

Have you looked at the @RooSolrSearchable and @RooSolrWebSearchable annotations themselves? I don't see any ITDs or outcomes from @RooSolrWebSearchable when I add it to a controller.

Ken

Comment

FYI

https://jira.springsource.org/browse/ROO-3298

Comment

Working...
      X