Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex Spring Integration - state of play?

Hi

I've spent the last few weeks reviewing and testing different toolkits for a project that's evolving from a Django prototype and Spring Roo is top of the list.

We need to have a RIA as users will navigate and manipulate large sets of research data so we have committed to using Flex.

I've tried to integrate Flex as an addon but have had no success. I've even used previous versions of Roo and the Flex addon and got the code generator to work but with Exceptions at the end.

I know I can achieve what is needed without the slick Roo console but wondered if the Flex addon is abandonware? Flex integration is highlighted as a technology that can be "instantly leveraged" but also mentioned as "actively in development". It certainly doesn't work out of the box - or maybe I'm at fault? This really would be a killer feature for developing apps for the research community! It seemed so simple using the intro at: INTRODUCING THE FLEX ADDON FOR SPRING ROO.

Is there commitment to fixing the Flex addon / BlazeDS Integration? Has anybody got the latest version of Roo working with the Flex addon / BlazeDS Integration?

Cheers,
    Anthony

The example FIRST PROJECT - ROO STANDALONE on the Roo landing page needs the following step for GWT to work:
    roo> web gwt all --proxyPackage com.foo.client.request --requestPackage com.foo.client.request

@Athomas,

I walked the same road a time ago and I can tell you...

I was able to work -not without many issues- with the first incarnation of the flex addon and roo 1.1 something.
    After that, the add-on never worked with newer versions of roo. One day, I found that I was tossed out to the community for continuing further maintenance and development.

Based on your experience on the matter It sounds that the add-on is not doing well under the new management too.

Anyway, these are not bad news since I consider Flex a legacy RIA technology at this point. In my opinion there is better, lighter weight RIA alternative using jQuery and jQuery components.

I found that Spring Framework resonates very-very well with jQuery.

Please visit my website where you could find my showcase on the matter. The link is http://pragmatikroo.blogspot.com/?view=timeslide

I am very interested on RIA as users will navigate and manipulate large sets of research data too.
    Common interests is a very good starting point for setting up a collaboration and working together... if you want.

Thank you
    jD

Comment

From gvNIX project team we could migrate this addon for Roo 1.2.2 this month

Comment

At the end of the day...

It is a company/developers decision what RIA technology to use in their projects.

However, a very important indicator is to review what kind of skill set the IT employers are consuming these days. Next, quick snapshot of jobs advertized per required skill set on 08/10/2012.
        1. jQuery 5211
        2. Flex 1093
        3. Cobol 581

It is totally a Market-decision what players will stay in the game. I think

B. Roogards
        jD @ http://pragmatikroo.blogspot.com
        Last edited by delgad9; Aug 10th, 2012, 08:50 AM.

Comment

@delgad9
          Thank you for the reply. After having another look at Roo / Flex I've found it's easy to work without Roo's addon. All I did was:
          1. Add a service layer in the Roo console
          2. Add the Maven dependencies using the Roo console
          3. Configure web.xml and the Flex XML's
          4. Connected Flash Builder to the services and all the classes / methods were generated
          5. Now if the domain changes I just hit refresh in FB
          Your website contains some interesting articles. If I've got anything interesting to show you I'll let you know.

@mmartinez
          Even though I've got this working I'll still keep an eye on your addon work!

Comment

@athomas,

What ?
            Your website contains some interesting articles.
            Just kidding. Thank you for reviewing my stuff and finding "some" value on it.

Basically you are saying that you are using the Roo/Flex without the Roo-flex-addon. Right?. That makes sense to me.

If you want to keep developing your project with legacy RIA technology it is fine. Just keep in mind that there is another possibility using jQuery approach. Save my collaboration offer too. It might be handy down the road.

BTW, I just post http://pragmatikroo.blogspot.com/201...rendering.html.

It shows a way to include advanced rendering to Roo without the legacy stuff.

Anyway good luck and I look forward to seeing your legacy RIA stuff soon*.

Thank you
            B. Roogards
            jD

* So, I can recreate it in a cost-effective way using jQuery.
            Last edited by delgad9; Aug 17th, 2012, 08:28 AM. Reason: Additional point added

Comment

Really!

Originally posted by delgad9 View Post
              If you want to keep developing your project with legacy RIA technology it is fine. Just keep in mind that there is another possibility using jQuery approach.
              Great - Your solution (using jQuery) to record/control a users video stream from their webcam to your server is .... ?

Comment

Originally posted by RogerPf View Post
                Great - Your solution (using jQuery) to record/control a users video stream from their webcam to your server is .... ?
                Really. RogerPF*

Another cool topic... Let me validate it with a PoC and I push a post on that.

Bring me more of these ones. Please

B. and suggested Roogards
                jD

*I think you are the guy that requested my Roo master-detail solution some time ago. Right? How did it work for you?
                Last edited by delgad9; Aug 28th, 2012, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by delgad9 View Post
                  *I think you are the guy that requested my Roo master-detail solution some time ago. Right? How did it work for you?
                  Requested!? "Roo master-detail solution" - No.

Attempted to use (and made comments on) your "Roo Security" - Yes.

How did it it go? - you took umbridge at my comments - which was not what I had expected or wished to happen.

Of course if you can show us a solution to 'recording from' and controlling a users webcam with just js and html5 then it will really show that you are the boss because it has certainly defeated me.

Comment

Hello RogerPf,

Sorry about the confusion...
                    Once there was a Roger something that did such request.

What Roo security your are referring to. I can't recall any stuff of mine on that particular subject.

On the other hand what would be the motivation of 1) defeating you? 2) what is the prize? 3) who are the "us" supposedly I have to show... 4) what is your alternative.

Are you playing psychological games to me?. It is hilarious. If this is the case this is the psychology that works with me: $$$. Very-very motivational and effective, indeed.

If you have a project for me; approached the right way and we move from there.

B. and old-fashion-management-persuasion-style Roogards
                    jD
                    Note: Please include link(s) to your site(s). In case you have and they reflect your web development/spring roo work.
                    Last edited by delgad9; Aug 28th, 2012, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X