Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Roo support for multi-module with GWT

Hi,

if tried to use the GWT addOn with the multi-module support. The documentation and API to use this is just straight forward. I searched for an example and didn't found one. So I chosed the clinic.roo example as a simple start point to create my own.

In clinic.roo I changed the last lines of code

Code:
    web mvc setup
    web mvc all --package ~.web
    is changed to

Code:
    web gwt setup
    web gwt all --proxyPackage ~.client.proxy --requestPackage ~.client.request
    The rest lines of code (selenium-Tests) where dropped and some minimal changes where done Calendar -> Date due to missing support in GWT.

The problem is that the getters for the Enumerations Types PetType and Specialty in this example where not generated in the PetProxy or the VetProxy. The whole gwt stuff just says ...

The path to type com.example.petclinic.reference.PetType which is used in type com.example.petclinic.domain.Pet by the field 'getType' needs to be added to the module's gwt.xml file in order to be used in a Proxy.

The path to type com.example.petclinic.reference.Specialty which is used in type com.example.petclinic.domain.Vet by the field 'getSpecialty' needs to be added to the module's gwt.xml file in order to be used in a Proxy.
    ... some hints how this is intended to work?

(Attached the clinic-gwt example)

... to be precise with multi-module in this case is meant multi maven modules not GWT modules. The term module alone could be a little bit misleading.

The target is to break down the domain model code an the view codes in different modules. The GWT Proxy, Request and Scaffolding code should be placed in separated view models.

Comment

You can find a sample of multimodule project in samples folder (just unzip the spring-roo-1.2.1.RELEASE file), it's a file called multimodule.roo.

The main commands are:
      project --topLevelPackage com.springsource.petclinic --packaging POM
      module create --moduleName core --topLevelPackage com.example.petclinic
      module focus --moduleName ~

I'd remove these lines from your script:
      module create --moduleName ui --topLevelPackage com.example.petclinic.ui --packaging POM
      module focus --moduleName ui/gwt

Comment

Originally posted by lucki View Post
        You can find a sample of multimodule project in samples folder (just unzip the spring-roo-1.2.1.RELEASE file), it's a file called multimodule.roo.
        Yes, a good point. Indeed this was exactly my starting point. I used this this script. Trying all examples I mismatch simply the names.

The problem with this example still is: It is not a web gwt ..., it is just a web mvc ... one. After playing a little bit longer around with Spring Roo Maven Moduels and GWT Modules I think it's not applicable to dive deeper into this problem. The Roo GWT addOn is not production ready in this release for the bigger projects. I might be that there is a chance for a Roo Version 3 and GWT Version 3 that they may come together. But at the moment I see to much problems on both sides Roo and GWT.

Having a bigger project it would be also unavoidable to code Spring Roo itself. Means coding addOns for Spring Roo or customizing the current Spring Roo GWT addOn. But at this point I see even more problems due to the poor support of Spring Roo.

After seven years with the spring core framework and some Spring projects around, using grails and so forth I must state I'm a little bit confused about the strategy at spring source. I had a look at Roo when it was acquired by Spring Source and I thought Ok nice prototype. Coming back three years later I still see it's a tool for small projects.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X