Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roo + GWT + STS Problems

Hi there,

I've been trying to work with Roo, the GWT scaffolding and actually editing the bootstrapped code, as I think this is a very promising feature, combining several amazing tools / frameworks (basically following the Google Code Tutorial.
    However I am not altogether too knowledgable in either Maven, GWT or Spring, only highly interested.

Versions:
    Roo 1.2.1
    Maven 3.0.3
    STS 2.8.1
    GWT 2.4.0

What does work:
    Code:
    roo.sh script $ROO_HOME/samples/expenses.roo
    mvn gwt:run
    This will start the Jetty "control center", and I can launch my web browser and view the scaffolded sample version in the development mode (that is, with the GWT Developer plugin running in the browser).

What does not work:
    Importing this project into STS (Google Plugin is installed).
    Trying to do so via File->Import->Existing Maven Project leaves me with several error markers in different *DataOnDemand.aj files regarding javax.validation, namely: import cannot be resolved and type cannot be resolved. This - I am guessing - resolves to some wrong interpretation of the pom.xml, as there was no problem with mvn gwt:run from command-line. Funnily enough, these errors will disappear, if i right-click the project->Google->Web Toolkit Settings and switch back and forth between using the default and a specific GWT SDK once.

With these error markes gone, there is still one error left:
    Code:
    Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.2:exec (execution: default, phase: process-classes)	pom.xml	/extrack	line 514	Maven Project Build Lifecycle Mapping Problem
    This is regarding the following plugin definition in the pom.xml:
    Code:
    <plugin>
                    <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                    <artifactId>exec-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                    <version>1.2</version>
                    <executions>
                        <execution>
                            <phase>process-classes</phase>
                            <goals>
                                <goal>exec</goal>
                            </goals>
                            <configuration>
                                <id>VerifyRequestFactoryInterfaces</id>
                                <executable>java</executable>
                                <arguments>
                                    <argument>-cp</argument>
                                    <classpath/>
                                    <argument>com.google.web.bindery.requestfactory.apt.ValidationTool</argument>
                                    <argument>${project.build.outputDirectory}</argument>
                                    <argument>${project.groupId}.client.managed.request.ApplicationRequestFactory</argument>
                                </arguments>
                            </configuration>
                        </execution>
                    </executions>
                </plugin>
    I tried substituting certain parts from this usage example from Codehaus, and at some point I managed to get rid of the error, though I can't seem to be able to reproduce that.

Ignoring the error markers and running Right-Click->Run As->Web Application finally produces following error, when trying to acces from a browser:
    Code:
     [WARN] Failed startup of context com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher$WebAppContextWithReload@379ba3b3{/,/home/fredrik/dev/projects/extrack/target/extrack-0.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT}
    javax.servlet.UnavailableException: org.springsource.roo.extrack.server.CustomRequestFactoryServlet
    	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Holder.doStart(Holder.java:79)
    	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.doStart(ServletHolder.java:233)
    	at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:39)
    	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:616)
    	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:140)
    	at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1220)
    	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:513)
    	at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:448)
    	at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher$WebAppContextWithReload.doStart(JettyLauncher.java:468)
    	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:130)
    	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RequestLogHandler.doStart(RequestLogHandler.java:115)
    	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:130)
    	at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:222)
    	at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher.start(JettyLauncher.java:672)
    	at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.doStartUpServer(DevMode.java:509)
    	at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.startUp(DevModeBase.java:1068)
    	at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.run(DevModeBase.java:811)
    	at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.main(DevMode.java:311)
    I cannot gain any information from this, to be honest.
    As I have waited for quite some time whether this issue might be resolved with new GWT or Roo versions, but it hasn't: can anyone offer any help? I figure I surely am not the only one trying to edit the default scaffolding in this combination of GWT and Roo in the STS. Is there a different approach I should use?

Also I can't get Maven to produce a working .war file. I've tried the following goals: mvn clean gwt:compuile war:war, but if I load the resulting .war into Tomcat 6, I have had several different kinds of problems - it has never worked though. Doing this with regular GWT projects that have a Maven nature has worked for me though in the past. This is also true for such GWT projects that contained RPC-calls, the Client-Server communication would work not only in development mode, but also when deploying a maven-generated .war.

So, these are a lot of different questions regarding the topic - I hope somebody will have a say on at least a few of these. I would really like to see Roo develop in a way that would make it easier to use especially for people who are not yet experts on the technologies used, as it also offers a perfect way to efficiently learn by "playing around". This would also mean making basic stuff such as this more fool-proof.

Thanks!
Working...
X