X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating the horse - JQuery and removing tiles

Besides just generating all the views from scratch, and not using any special tags, is there any way to get jquery to work on all pages. Or if, I have to create the views from scratch, what is a really good alternative to tiles?

While I love Roo, I feel that it is too tightly coupled to Tiles and Dojo/Spring javascript. Being Spring, I would hope everything is extremely decoupled and highly customizable, like we have in every other Spring project. When I first tried Roo in the first year, I came up to the same block. The inability to customize the UI.

Thanks

Mark

Never mind. I think I have to just start from scratch on the page/views. Really what I was hoping to get is a single page app, in which I could leverage the generated forms onto that one view. But since the forms have the Dojo and uses Roo's special tags, I can just create those forms on the fly with JavaScript and JQuery. I think that will get me the look and feel that I am aiming for.

Thanks

Mark

Comment

siteMesh

Have you tried the siteMesh plugin? AFAIR siteMesh haven't been updated for a while though.
      Code:
      addon search sitemesh

Comment

BTW, something I haven't reflected on nor tried is that primefaces, which I believe Roo uses for JSF, defaults to JQuery. I'm not sure if the Roo team undoes that for the regular Spring JS/Dojo support?

Comment

Originally posted by MiB View Post
          BTW, something I haven't reflected on nor tried is that primefaces, which I believe Roo uses for JSF, defaults to JQuery. I'm not sure if the Roo team undoes that for the regular Spring JS/Dojo support?
          Well, I am sure they use different tags in their use of JSF. the DOJO coupling occurs in the tagx files which then translate to tags used in the jspx pages. So JSF would be using either.

Mark

Comment

I am definitely beginning to form the opinion that Roo tags are an obstacle if what they deliver aren't what you want. They are an asset if you're content with what they deliver of course. I think delgad9 have done a lot with these at pragmatikroo.
            But why can't there be an optional bare naked Spring approach alternative to Roo tags? Just the data and no frills?

Comment

@MiB,

Roo tags are an obstacle
              ... What are you going to say next "The Earth is flat".

You are just targeting the symptom(s) no the malady*. Whatever grandiose tag library or technology when is not connected on how-to do problem solving on real world issues, will face the same dissatisfaction.

In my opinion -something that I've said long time ago- what is missing are: books, tutorials, showcases, etc that show how-to solve real world Java development with Spring Roo. Unfortunately what is available out there is basically reincarnations of the reference manual over-and-over.

The "arena" is set up for bringing new players to the game. New players that will show you how to use Spring Roo for solving your web development problems.

B. Rooards
              jD

Roo taglib is the JEWEL-OF-CROWN and http://pragmatikroo.blogspot.com/ stands up for making a point. You know it!.
              Last edited by delgad9; Jan 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM.

Comment

pragmatikroo is very nice and I salute your effort, inspirational vision and what not, but it's still not what I want in the details. In spirit I think it's extremely useful and what you have done there serves the whole Roo community.
                I still feel that a regular Spring web application built upon the base structure of Roo solves most web application problems for me. Spring tags are great. Roo tags are too married to Dojo and jspx. I want neither in my productions.

Also, your repeated personal efforts to insult me are not impressive at all. It detriments from your work and your example and begets doubt. You personal frustrations should not spill over into discussions. Please keep it out and use personal communication if absolutely necessary.

Comment

Hey MiB,

Thank you for your comments about pragmatikroo and my work...
                  On the other hand, I was making a comment on your statement not to your person at all. For making my point, I gave you a candid hypothesis of what I think is going on. That's it.

B. Roogards
                  jD

Comment

The usefulness of different technologies can be viewed differently unlike the characteristics of the earth. So your comment didn't make sense at all.
                    Roo tags simply do not deliver what I need. They may in the future, but as of now they're a waste of time for me. I can envision projects with different requirements where they could be very useful, but I have none of these at the moment. Mockups and proof of concept tests are other possible scenarios.
                    So Spring tags it is for me. Even though I have edited some of the Roo tags for my purposes I ditched them in the end. This doesn't mean your approach isn't useful or any other approach for that matter. On the contrary, Roo is open to multiple approaches, which is one of its great strengths.

Comment

Working...
                    X