Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Has anyone migrated from Lotus Notes / Domino to a relational database using roo Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone migrated from Lotus Notes / Domino to a relational database using roo

DBRE looks like it might not help to migrate a Notes / Domino database to a roo project. It only seems to apply to relational databases.

Domino is perhaps one of the original NoSQL Databases : It stores Data as Documents, with metadata. Even documents of the same form type could contain different fields (due to sub forms or the design of the form that was in place at the time each document was last saved)

Failing that, it seems that the best option might be to create a batch file ( similar to the log file that get built during the pizza shop tutorial) & build each table & their relationships based on the document heirarchy in the notes database.

I had thought about putting a Domino XML export of the database design through a style sheet to build the batch file, but I can see a few issues with that.

I am now thinking that I should perform a detailed analysis of every document in the database & use that to build up a comprehensive field list of each document type. Any advice on dealing with multi value fields would be gratefully accepted. I am thinking that each multivalue field would need to be used as the configuration for a new child table, perhaps keyed on the parents doc id....

Any thoughts......

Thanks in advance

@RichardScannell,

It sounds like a pretty interesting project...
    I like it because it could expand the reach of the Spring framework and particularly Roo.

Is there any $incentive$ for coming up with a solution for your requirement?

Here are my credentials:http://pragmatikroo.blogspot.com and http://pragmatikroo.org/showcases

B. Roogards

jD

Comment

Hi jD

Thanks for the quick response...

Sorry - there is no cash reward available for this. I work in the UK public sector, which is not exactly £flush£.

Its probably best to see this in the context of your observation that it could expand the reach of Spring & Roo into enterprises where its currently excluded.......

I already have a few potential solutions bubbling around in my head, & I just wanted to see if anyone else had already done this without me reinventing the wheel. The primary skill set required for this is Domino, as the main area of complexity is how it stores data in documents, & how those documents relate to each other.

Thanks again

Regards Richard

Comment

@RichardScannell,

Well, then...

Good luck and B. Roogards

jD

Comment

Working...
        X