Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Roo 1.2.0.M1 released

Dear Spring Community,

We’re happy to announce the availability of Spring Roo 1.2.0.M1 (download here). Spring Roo is a rapid application development tool for Java, allowing you to create full enterprise applications in just minutes.

Please see my blog post with all the details about the new features.

Spring Roo has a very active community and responsive development team, so if you have any questions on this new release, please feel free to ask the Spring Roo engineering team on the Community Forum. You'll also find us on Twitter - either follow @SpringRoo or just include #SpringRoo in your tweets.

We hope you enjoy this new release.
    Last edited by Alan Stewart; Sep 14th, 2011, 10:57 PM.

I've identified a critical bug when downloading JDBC drivers for DBRE. For those affected, please download a build snapshot from here

Sorry for this inconvenience
    Alan
    Last edited by Alan Stewart; Sep 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM.

Comment

A new distribution of Roo 1.2.0.M1 which fixes the above mentioned issue is now available for downloading. The revision is 1fa252f.

Thanks for your patience.

Alan
      Last edited by Alan Stewart; Sep 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Congrats on ROO 1.2.0.M1. It sure is an awesome product... the enhancements around repository / DAO layer instead of the default Roo JPA 'Active Record'-based persistence approach.. is much appreciated.

Now to the issue:

version:spring-roo-1.2.0.M1
        Java : jdk1.6.0_25

I am sure you may not have come across this issue... much of the 'corporate' (social media blocked ones) world would not be able to use it 1.2.0.M1 or the latest build cause of this code in:
        Class - org.springframework.roo.shell.jline.osgi.JLineShel lComponent
        // Access Twitter's REST API
        String string = sendGetRequest("http://api.twitter.com/1/favorites.json", "id=SpringRoo&count=5");

This is the Error that I get, whenever I start up ROO

Welcome to Spring Roo. For assistance press TAB or type "hint" then hit ENTER.
        Exception in thread "Spring Roo JLine Shell" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.springframework.roo.shell.jline.osgi.JLineShel lComponent.getLatestFavouriteTweet(JLineShel
        lComponent.java:97)
        at org.springframework.roo.shell.jline.osgi.JLineShel lComponent.getStartupNotifications(JLineShel
        lComponent.java:85)
        at org.springframework.roo.shell.jline.JLineShell.run (JLineShell.java:130)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Temporary Solution:
        Disable Wireless/Network and start ROO, then enable Wireless/Network

Thanks,
        Reggie
        Last edited by alexanrb; Oct 21st, 2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I raised https://jira.springsource.org/browse/ROO-2847 and committed some code, but before that, I was unable to reproduce the issue. I just added a couple of null checks so please get the latest Roo snapshot from http://static.springsource.org/downl...hp?project=ROO.

Please note there have been changes to the Roo annotations, so existing projects will be broken until you rename the annotations, so I suggest testing with a new project directory.
          Alan
          Last edited by Alan Stewart; Oct 21st, 2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Alan, I really appreciate you filing an issue. The issue ROO-2847 comment does not have the real problem, which is the call to Twitter API.

I just wanted to make you aware that the code ROO 1.2.0.M1 and the Latest build works fine for me from home or outside my work Network. The issue is that ROO will not start up and give the error, because of the call to the twitter api.

The issue is in org.springframework.roo.shell.jline.osgi.JLineShel lComponent
            on line 86 String string = sendGetRequest("http://api.twitter.com/1/favorites.json", "id=SpringRoo&count=1"); it makes a call to twitter API.
            Twitter (Facebook, ... most social site) is blocked in most traditional corporations, so cause of the call to http://api.twitter.com in JLine... ROO will not start up, and gives error.

But say, I disconnect (or disable) the Wireless/Network at work, the code works fine, since the call to Twitter will fail (a 404 kind...). If I am behind a corporate Network (Twitter blocked) then it is not really 404... This Monday, our company plans to open up access to Twitter, and hence I may not get this error, but I am sure someone else will run into this, and it may not be apparent to them the reason of the error.

Thanking you,
            Reggie

Comment

I turned off my network access completely but still don't get the issue. Can you please attach the full stack trace of what you see? The sendGetRequest method is probably throwing the exception, but as I have just arrived in San Francisco on my way to Chicago for SpringOne, I've got somewhat limited network access (and time) at the moment to do some more testing.

Comment

You are right, if you turn off your network, it will work fine.

Who does this issue affect?
                ONLY users whose access to "Twitter.com" is BLOCKED, this is mostly in Corporate offices.

How can a regular user test it?
                You need "Twitter.com" blocked by a firewall, or network.

What is the Error?
                / __ \/ __ \/ __ \
                / /_/ / / / / / / /
                / _, _/ /_/ / /_/ /
                /_/ |_|\____/\____/ 1.2.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT [rev fdae33a]

Welcome to Spring Roo. For assistance press TAB or type "hint" then hit ENTER.
                Exception in thread "Spring Roo JLine Shell" java.lang.NullPointerException
                at org.springframework.roo.shell.jline.osgi.JLineShel lComponent.getLatestFavouriteTweet(JLineShel
                lComponent.java:94)
                at org.springframework.roo.shell.jline.osgi.JLineShel lComponent.getStartupNotifications(JLineShel
                lComponent.java:82)
                at org.springframework.roo.shell.jline.JLineShell.run (JLineShell.java:130)
                at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

What happens after the error?
                The ROO console/shell just hangs

Which version of ROO, does this happen?
                All 1.2 version (M1 and any Builds)

Is there a work around?
                Yes, switch OFF your network, start ROO, then once you get the prompt, switch ON your network connection.
                Last edited by alexanrb; Oct 24th, 2011, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Would you please try the latest snapshot (6e4ef8c) to see if it solves the issue?

Comment

Alan, it is really awesome that you have provided a fix so quickly, and that it could make it to the build.

Extremely sorry, our company just opened up Twitter.com and cause of this I do not have the needed (blocked) Network setup to test this scenario :-(

Comment

I blocked twitter.com on my firewall at home and reproduced the original issue you saw above. This is now fixed in 1.2.0.RC1 for anyone else that has twitter blocked.

Comment

Hi.

assistance press CTRL+SPACE

DO not work.

Placidus.

Environment

Mac-

OS X - V 10.6.8

ROO

____ ____ ____
                        / __ \/ __ \/ __ \
                        / /_/ / / / / / / /
                        / _, _/ /_/ / /_/ /
                        /_/ |_|\____/\____/ 1.2.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT [rev 92e6f27]

Welcome to Spring Roo. For assistance press CTRL+SPACE or type "hint" then hit ENTER.
                        roo>

SpringSource Tool Suite

Version: 2.8.0.RELEASE
                        Build Id: 201110171000

Copyright (c) 2007 - 2011 SpringSource, a division of VMware, Inc.
                        All rights reserved. Visit http://springsource.com/products/sts

This product includes software developed by the
                        Apache Software Foundation http://www.apache.org

Comment

Thank you for the fix. Roo is an awesome product.

Comment

hi

is any one have same issue -->
                            assistance press CTRL+SPACE
                            DO not work.

Or any fix on this?

Placidus.

Comment

Thank you for quick fix.

all good working fine with following rev.

Placidus.

____ ____ ____
                              / __ \/ __ \/ __ \
                              / /_/ / / / / / / /
                              / _, _/ /_/ / /_/ /
                              /_/ |_|\____/\____/ 1.2.0.M1 [rev 1fa252f]

Welcome to Spring Roo. For assistance press CTRL+SPACE or type "hint" then hit ENTER.
                              roo>

Comment

Working...
                              X