Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gwt setup breaks build; missing GAE dependencies

Hi,

My env: ROO 1.1.3.RELEASE on Win XP with Java 6, Maven 3.0.3; Cygwin.

The command gwt setup introduces classes in my application which depend on Google AppEngine (GAE), but does not update my pom.xml with the required dependencies. When I try to compile the application, Maven complains that it cannot find the classes in the GAE package.

Adding these dependencies by hand solves the issue. I am now able to compile, package and use "gwt:run" on the application.

Code:
            <!-- Added manually -->
            <dependency>
                <groupId>com.google.appengine</groupId>
                <artifactId>appengine-api-1.0-sdk</artifactId>
                <version>1.4.3</version>
            </dependency>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>com.google.gwt.inject</groupId>
                <artifactId>gin</artifactId>
                <version>1.5.0</version>
            </dependency>
    Questions
    1. I want GWT, but I do not want GAE. How entangled are the generated files with the GAE api ? Is it easy to remove any references to GAE from the code ?
    2. Are there any plans to dissociate GAE from GWT in the code generation ? I'd like Roo even better if it generated code for GWT that would not depend on GAE.
    3. Can someone file a bug for the problem I've described above ? Having a broken build after running gwt setup seems wrong.

This bug can be reproduced with the Expense Report sample application.

Code:
    cd ~/workspace
    mkdir expenses
    cd expenses
    roo script $ROO_HOME/samples/expenses.roo
    mvn compile
    The compile step will halt when Maven cannot find the dependencies for GAE.

Comment

1. I want GWT, but I do not want GAE. How entangled are the generated files with the GAE api ? Is it easy to remove any references to GAE from the code ?
      2. Are there any plans to dissociate GAE from GWT in the code generation ? I'd like Roo even better if it generated code for GWT that would not depend on GAE.
      3. Can someone file a bug for the problem I've described above ? Having a broken build after running gwt setup seems wrong.
      The 1.2.0 snaphot builds resolve the issues with GWT and GAE. Please try.

With regards to 2), we are creating a separate add-on specifically for GAE, which will allow us to remove all the GAE-related code from core add-ons, such as addon-jpa, addon-entity and addon-gwt. GAE support at present uses DataNucleus 1.x which is only JPA 1 compliant and along with the other GAE restrictions we needed to introduce hacks to make it work. The new add-on will update the GAE support to use a different datastore which will allow the same code to be used across providers (in theory)

For 3) the existing bugs should have been resolved

Alan
      Alan

Comment

Working...
      X