Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a new language to a project

Hi there !

I created a new project with SpringRoo 1.2.
    I used the reverse engineering to generate all the BO objects, the service layer and the UI pages.

Now I try to internationalize my application.

I added the 6 languages handled by default by SpringRoo without any trouble.

Now I have several questions :

1) why are there only 6 languages handled by default ? I saw several properties files for other languages on internet : maybe they could be added ?

2) I tried to add new languages but it is very hard (at least for me...). I didn't understand the story about creating an i18n project ... but I found two existing project around French and Russian. I tried to add them using those two Roo commands :
    Code:
    osgi start --url http://spring-roo-addon-mvc-i18n-russian.googlecode.com/svn/repo/net/dzmitryb/roo/addon/mvc/russian/net.dzmitryb.roo.addon.mvc.russian/0.1.0.BUILD/net.dzmitryb.roo.addon.mvc.russian-0.1.0.BUILD.jar
    osgi start --url http://code.google.com/p/fr-test/source/browse/repo/org/springframework/roo/addon/i18n/french/org.springframework.roo.addon.i18n.french/0.1.0.RELEASE/org.springframework.roo.addon.i18n.french-0.1.0.RELEASE.jar
    ... but this didn't work :'(
    The first one added the messages_ru.properties file, the russian flag icon and changed the footer.jspx file ! But when I cliqued on the flag, I had the english language ...
    I created the messages_fr.properties file, added the expected icon and changed the footer.jspx file ... same result !
    I tried a lot of changes, install, uninstall, and ... suddenly, I don't know why, but it worked !

3) now I try to add portuguese language ... I added the properties file, the icon and changed the footer.jspx file ... but it doesn't work :'(
    My question main is : all the structure is set so that the application can switch from one language to another, just by specifying the 2 letters country code :
    Code:
    <util:language label="English" locale="en"/>
    OR
    <util:language label="Franšais" locale="fr"/>
    So why isn't it possible to simply add a new property file and a new button to make it works ?

Thanks in advance for attention.

CÚdric VIDREQUIN.

Roo has a convenient, built-in add-on discovery mechanism which does exactly what you need:

Code:
    roo> addon search french
    1 found, sorted by rank; T = trusted developer; R = Roo 1.2 compatible
    ID T R DESCRIPTION -------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Y - 0.1.0.BUILD France language support for Spring Roo Web MVC JSP
           Scaffolding
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [HINT] use 'addon info id --searchResultId ..' to see details about a search result
    [HINT] use 'addon install id --searchResultId ..' to install a specific search result, or
    [HINT] use 'addon install bundle --bundleSymbolicName TAB' to install a specific add-on version
    ~.web roo> addon install id 1
    Target resource(s):
    -------------------
       spring-roo-addon-french (0.1.0.BUILD)

Deploying...done.

Successfully installed add-on: spring-roo-addon-french [version: 0.1.0.BUILD]
    [Hint] Please consider rating this add-on with the following command:
    [Hint] addon feedback bundle --bundleSymbolicName org.springframework.roo.addon.french --rating ... --comment "..."
    ~.web roo> web mvc language --code fr
    ec3fc44 Created SRC_MAIN_WEBAPP/WEB-INF/i18n/messages_fr.properties
    0f67f12 Created SRC_MAIN_WEBAPP/images/fr.png
    46d0f10 Updated SRC_MAIN_WEBAPP/WEB-INF/views/footer.jspx
    This is also documented in our reference guide. The i18n addon creation steps are outlined here and here.

HTH,
    Stefan

Comment

Hello Stefan,

thank you for taking time to have a look at my problem !

As I said in my previous message, I managed to make work the French and the Russian languages, using the add-on discovery mechanism and some web search.

The problem I have is : how adding a new language that is not supplied in the add-on list ?
      I'm trying to add Portuguese language : I have the messages_pt.properties file and the flag icon, I tried to create the i18n stuffs like this (but it fails) :
      Code:
      roo> addon create i18n --topLevelPackage com.myCompany.myProject --locale pt --messageBundle SpringRooI18nAddons/pt/messages_pt.properties
      Command 'addon create i18n --topLevelPackage com.vialtis.ferry --locale pt --messageBundle SpringRooI18nAddons/pt/messages_pt.properties' was found but is not currently available (type 'help' then ENTER to learn about this command)
      Did I miss something ?

CÚdric.

Comment

The addon create command will only work in empty directories. This is because it will create a complete new project for your addon so you can package it as a (OSGi-ready jar bundle, and potentially make it available to other Roo users). Once you have created your addon project and packaged it (mvn package) you can install the addon:

Code:
        roo> osgi start --url file:///<path-to-jar>foo.jar

Comment

Hi I'm having problems too when "Adding a new language to a project"
          I want to make locale for Bosnian language in Latin and Cyrillic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_language) So i will have to commands
          //Cyrillic
          addon create i18n --topLevelPackage spring.roo.addon.mvc.i18n.bosnian.Cyrillic --locale bs_cy --messageBundle messages_bs-Cyrl-BA.properties --language Bosanski --flaggraphic bs.png --description "Localization for Bosnian Cyrillic"

//latin
          addon create i18n --topLevelPackage spring.roo.addon.mvc.i18n.bosnian.Latin --locale bs_la --messageBundle messages_bs-Latn-BA.properties --language Bosanski --flaggraphic bs.png --description "Localization for Bosnian Latin"

And when I add them
          osgi start --url file:///....\spring.roo.addon.mvc.i18n.bosnian.cyrillic-0.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT.jar
          osgi start --url file:///....\spring.roo.addon.mvc.i18n.bosnian.latin-0.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT.jar

In project in roo I can see them

roo>web mvc language --code
          bs_la bs_cy de en es it nl sv

but i'm getting exception
          java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to convert 'bs_cy' to type I18n for option ',code'
          when adding language

roo> web mvc language --code bs_cy
          java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to convert 'bs_cy' to type I18n for option ',code'

One strange thing is if I issue
          addon create i18n --topLevelPackage spring.roo.addon.mvc.i18n.bosnian.Cyrillic --locale bs_cy --messageBundle messages_bs-Cyrl-BA.properties --language Bosanski --flaggraphic bs.png --description "Localization for Bosnian Cyrillic"

I have to modify in BosanskiLanguage class bs -> bs_cy

@Component(immediate = true)
          @Service
          public class BosanskiLanguage extends AbstractLanguage {

public Locale getLocale() {
          return new Locale("bs");//change to bs_cy
          }

public String getLanguage() {
          return "Bosanski";
          }

public InputStream getFlagGraphic() {
          return FileUtils.getInputStream(getClass(), "bs.png");
          }

public InputStream getMessageBundle() {
          return FileUtils.getInputStream(getClass(), "messages_bs-Cyrl-BA.properties");
          }
          }

Comment

I know this is old but thought it was worth adding in, just in case others are looking.

I was able to add a new language to my Spring Roo JSF project just by:
            1. Adding the image and link in the footer.
            2. Creating the associated messages_<xx>.properties file
            3. Adding in the language support to the faces config: (faces-config.xml)

Comment

Working...
            X