Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROO vs GWTP (to develop with GWT and GAE) ?

Hi,

I want to develop a web app with GWT and hosted on the GAE. I do not care about the choice of the DAL (JPA or Objectify....) and I would prefer to use a MVP rather than a MVC (but it is not mandatory).

So, I am not an expert at all, but it seems that GWTP has a better 'enthusiam' than ROO to develop on the GAE with GWT.

My question, is, currently : "which tool should I choose for my requirement ?" (because I know that ROO does a lot of more, it is a RAD, but what is important for me are only the features I am planning to use, such as AJAX programming, GWT widgets, and GAE datastore...).

Does ROO 'perfectly' work with GWT on the GAE ? ...because I heard a lot of discussion not encouraging me to use it (I mainly want to develop my UI in GWT and will need to use the Google datastore).

Can you help me to see clearly how things happens (Does my ideas are correct)?

Tkx,

I've seen GWTP, but not too familiar with it. I've been developing a substantial sized gwt webapp using STS and Spring ROO now for a few months. ROO is great for initially getting your project going. If you know what all your domain objects should look like, you can quickly scaffold together a gwt interface that will allow CRUDing stuff. From there out ROO serves mainly as an add-on to quickly edit additional entities. This can come in handy because gwt requires a substantial amount of boiler plate for using things like the RequestFactory. Roo will generate the proxies and other files needed to actively make requests from the client to server to fetch your entities. Otherwise, the things you mentioned like widgets and GAE datastore is all the same. ROO will setup GAE for you initially (I believe it works fine, I don't use it myself), widgets are widgets and roo doesn't mess with them.

One problem I've come across using roo with gwt is roo's management of files. ROO manages the files that it creates for you and won't let you edit many of them. This can be a pain in some cases, but is still better than writing them entirely yourself. I believe in the next couple releases of ROO a fix is going to be added to allow editing managed files. For now you have to copy files out of managed folders if you want to add changes.

You might be able to use GWTP on top of gwt as well. Definitely do some research into that, they might have some RAD stuff going on with it.

Comment

Hi, ok, but I have seen that gwtp, can minimise the lot of code needed by GWT...such as we just need to write 4 classes instead of 12...something like this...So I think ROO does not have an advantage on this...ROO is good for java project, I think, but it is not enough mature to be on the GAE + GWT...and that what I (and also a lot of people would) like...Moreover there is no ROO roadmap to organize myself, I do not have any vision about the short term (next 3 months)... I am sad, because, I am sure that ROO would have motivated myself to learn more about the (super) Spring Framework...and sure that I will regret it after...In addition, Spring framework does not fully works on GAE...so... Finally, I do not know every thing, but it seems more logic that VMWARE will invest most of his resources on their CLOUD rather than the GAE...So...If I need to choose between Google tools or Spring Tools, I will ride on Google's one (in priority)...that is the way I think (because this logic is closer to the features I am looking for...)... If somebody does not agree with me, he is welcome to correct me... Tkx
      Last edited by nzaero; May 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X