Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Spring Roo without Starting from Entities

Hi,

I just started learning Spring Roo. After reading creating web application in 10 minutes. I have the impression that Roo assumes that we have an entity concept ready, and create the controller component - or what they refer to as scaffolds.

We are in a prototyping stage and we are splitting the task to explore the UI component, and the persistent layer between 2 people. At my side, I am trying to create a simple user registration form that takes in user name, password, send the request to the server, and get the server to redirect a user to another page.

Is there a good approach for this task without having to create entities as described in the 10 minutes lesson: http://static.springsource.org/sprin...ro-first-steps

I have downloaded the Spring Tool suite (STS), and I am trying out the roo, maven, features in the STS to get me started.

Any tips, hints, or helpful links to other tutorial will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,

My advice having just started with Spring Roo too

Hi

I have been working on a new Spring Roo based web project for a month or two and first of all would suggest purchasing the Spring Roo in Action book:

http://www.manning.com/rimple/

For the money, and even though the early access version is in no way complete, it does clearly describe the fundamentals of Roo web development as well as security. For someone like me who hasn't used Spring MVC (I've used Struts alot) this has really helped introduce this technology as well as Spring Roo.

I'm not the author by the way - and if the author reads this I hope the book gets finished!

For your specific problem you probably want to install Spring Security - in Roo by typing:

security setup

The MEAP book has lots of details but this will create a login.jspx page and a resources\META-INF\spring\applicationContext-security.xml file. This file details some basic security settings. From there (again following either the MEAP book or the Spring Security docs) you can add your own security elements - authorisation mechanism, database entities etc.

Hope it goes well.

Chris

Aside from that I would certainly suggest just creating entities to work with. This will enable you to quickly

Comment

Working...
    X