Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of generated database tables

Hi Roo experts,

I am new to roo, but it seems easy to use. When using the persistence addon's, how do you specify the length of the fields to be created in the database?

I am using Eclipselink with Oracle with STS-2.6.0 (Roo 1.1.3)

My roo command is this:

field string --fieldName IncidentSupervisorComments --column INCIDENT_SUPERVISOR_COMMENTS --sizeMax 2000

The generated java class says this:

@Column(name = "INCIDENT_SUPERVISOR_COMMENTS")
    @Size(max = 2000)
    private String IncidentSupervisorComments;

But the generated table in the database has the field defined as

INCIDENT_SUPERVISOR_COMMENTS VARCHAR2(255)

It should be defined as VARCHAR2(2000). Every string regardless of max size is being defined as being VARCHAR2(255). I think I must be missing something simple. Any thoughts?

Cayle

I'm also new to Roo,

I think it's a Eclipselink (or JPA) issue,

Some databases support maximum 255 characters for Varchar type, although, Oracle should support up to 4000. Maybe it's compatibility issue?

Comment

I agree it seems to be a problem with Eclipselink as it doesn't happen if I choose to use Hibernate. I haven't tried it with the OpenJPA implementation yet. I don't think there should be a problem with Eclipselink and oracle limits, since it's derived from Oracle's own Toplink.

Comment

It also does the varchar2(255) default length with OPENJPA, so it must be something with the JPA generation. Apparently, there are two additional @Column annotation parameters that roo doesn't know about.

length - lets you specify length
        columnDefinition - lets you override the type completely.

Comment

Working...
        X