Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no jdbc analysis with spring+jdo+postgres?

Hi,

What does spring insight need in order to display the jdbc response times? I can find the transaction / service method calls but I cannot inspect the jdbc times. My app uses spring 3, postgresql and jdo (datanucleus).

Cheers,

Jan

This is a fairly common issue. Odds are the JDBC driver your using is located in the server's lib directory. Try moving it into the webapp's lib directory.

While running with a JDBC driver inside a WAR is not recommended for a production application, it's ok at development time. We're looking to address this issue in an upcoming release.

Comment

My maven project has the following dependencies:
      Code:
      > mvn dependency:tree | grep jdbc
      [INFO] |  |  |  |  +-org.springframework:org.springframework.jdbc:jar:3.0.0.RELEASE:compile
      [INFO] |  |  |  +- org.postgis:postgis-jdbc:jar:1.1.5:compile
      [INFO] |  |  |  +- org.postgis:postgis-jdbc-jts:jar:1.4.1komoot:compile
      [INFO] |     |  |  +- org.geotools:gt-jdbc:jar:2.6.0:compile
      [INFO] |     |  +- postgresql:postgresql:jar:8.3-603.jdbc3:compile
      all of them are in the lib dir of MyWebapp

in webapp-lib, there is:
      Code:
      # ls
      insight-jdbc-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar  insight-springcore-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar  insight-springtx-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar  insight-springweb-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar  spring_insight_collection-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
      Do you mean that jdbc file? And I should move it to my webapp?

Cheers,

Jan

Comment

Ok, I have to adjust my previously made observations. Indeed, Spring insight can inspect JDBC calls - but not mine. Only the "startup jdbc calls" made by datanucleus are recorded. Mine, however, are not available. See the attached screenshot.

EDIT: Link to the image

Do I need special annotations or how does it work with spring? I use the
        org.springframework.orm.jdo.TransactionAwarePersis tenceManagerFactoryProxy which wraps the org.datanucleus.jdo.JDOPersistenceManagerFactory in case this matters.

Cheers,

Jan
        Last edited by jtheuer; Jan 29th, 2010, 07:12 AM.

Comment

You shouldn't need to do anything special. It's a good sign that you see some of the initial queries, that means Insight is up and running properly and it's able to detect something.

Just for my own sanity, can you confirm that the DataNucleus and JDBC jars are located in the WAR (ie. WEB-INF/lib)?

Comment

Originally posted by sandrews View Post
            Just for my own sanity, can you confirm that the DataNucleus and JDBC jars are located in the WAR (ie. WEB-INF/lib)?
            Here it is:
            Code:
            gt-jdbc-2.6.0.jar
            insight-jdbc-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
            org.springframework.jdbc-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
            postgis-jdbc-1.1.5.jar
            postgis-jdbc-jts-1.4.1.jar
            postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc3.jar
            How does insight work? I'm nor sure if for example the gt-jdbc-2.6.0.jar should be in the classpath, I don't really need it, it is just one of the "transitive dependencies".
            My jdbc driver "postgresql_jts" is defnetly only in the postgis-jdbc-jts jar.

Thanks, Jan

Comment

Spring Insight uses AspectJ to weave the classes available inside your WAR to collect metrics about the applications execution. Since only classes inside the WAR are woven, if a class is provided from the server's lib directory or the JRE, it will not be woven.

For your situation, any class that makes calls to java.sql.Statement or PreparedStatment, need to be located inside the WAR in order for the Insight instrumentation to collect the SQL query.

You mentioned previously that you are using datanucleus with JDO. I don't see any of the datanucleus JARs in the list you provided.

In general, if all the dependencies are inside the WAR, everything will pickup automatically.

Comment

Ok, here is the complete list of dependencies. datanucleus-rdbms contains the jdbc commands.
                Code:
                activation-1.1.1.jar                                                                              
                ant-optional-1.5.1.jar                                                                            
                asm-3.1.jar                                                                                       
                cglib-2.2.jar                                                                                     
                common-2.2.1.jar                                                                                  
                commons-beanutils-1.8.0.jar                                                                       
                commons-codec-1.4.jar                                                                             
                commons-collections-3.2.1.jar                                                                     
                commons-dbcp-1.2.2.jar                                                                            
                commons-io-1.4.jar                                                                                
                commons-jxpath-1.2.jar                                                                            
                commons-lang-2.4.jar                                                                              
                commons-logging-1.1.1.jar                                                                         
                commons-math-2.0.jar                                                                              
                commons-pool-1.5.3.jar                                                                            
                com.springsource.org.aopalliance-1.0.0.jar                                                        
                com.springsource.org.apache.commons.fileupload-1.2.1.jar                                          
                com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging-1.1.1.jar                                             
                datanucleus-core-2.0.0-m4.jar                                                                     
                datanucleus-rdbms-2.0.0-m4.jar                                                                    
                datanucleus-spatial-2.0.0-m4.jar                                                                  
                datanucleus-thirdparty-1.0.1.jar                                                                  
                dozer-5.1.jar                                                                                     
                easymock-2.3.jar                                                                                  
                ecore-2.2.2.jar                                                                                   
                geoapi-2.3-M1.jar                                                                                 
                geoapi-pending-2.3-M1.jar                                                                         
                geronimo-jta_1.1_spec-1.1.jar                                                                     
                gt-api-2.6.0.jar                                                                                  
                gt-coverage-2.6.0.jar                                                                             
                gt-data-2.6.0.jar                                                                                 
                gt-epsg-hsql-2.6.0.jar                                                                            
                gt-geometry-2.6.0.jar                                                                             
                gt-geotiff-2.6.0.jar                                                                              
                gt-gpx-2.5.5.jar                                                                                  
                gt-graph-2.6.0.jar                                                                                
                gt-jdbc-2.6.0.jar                                                                                 
                gt-main-2.6.0.jar                                                                                 
                gt-metadata-2.6.0.jar                                                                             
                gt-postgis-2.6.0.jar                                                                              
                gt-referencing-2.6.0.jar                                                                          
                gt-xml-gpx-2.5.5.jar                                                                              
                gt-xsd-core-2.5.5.jar                                                                             
                hamcrest-core-1.1.jar                                                                             
                hibernate-validator-4.0.2.GA.jar                                                                  
                hsqldb-1.8.0.7.jar                                                                                
                imageio-ext-tiff-1.0.4.jar                                                                        
                imageio-ext-utilities-1.0.4.jar
                insight-jdbc-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
                jackson-core-asl-1.4.0.jar
                jackson-jaxrs-1.4.0.jar
                jackson-mapper-asl-1.4.0.jar
                jackson-xc-1.4.0.jar
                jai_codec-1.1.3.jar
                jai_core-1.1.3.jar
                jai_imageio-1.1.jar
                jaxb-api-2.1.jar
                jaxb-impl-2.1.3.jar
                jcl-over-slf4j-1.5.7.jar
                jdo2-api-2.3-eb.jar
                jdom-1.0.jar
                joda-time-1.6.jar
                jta-1.1.jar
                jts-1.10.jar
                jtsio-1.7.jar
                junit-dep-4.5.jar
                komoot-test-1.1.jar
                log4j-1.2.14.jar
                mail-1.4.1.jar
                org.springframework.aop-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.asm-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.beans-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.context-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.context.support-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.core-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.expression-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.jdbc-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.orm-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.oxm-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.security.config-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.security.core-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.security.web-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.test-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.transaction-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.web-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                org.springframework.web.servlet-3.0.0.RELEASE.jar
                picocontainer-1.2.jar
                postgis-driver-1.0.jar
                postgis-jdbc-1.1.5.jar
                postgis-jdbc-jts-1.4.1komoot.jar
                postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc3.jar
                slf4j-api-1.5.7.jar
                slf4j-log4j12-1.5.7.jar
                transaction-api-1.1.jar
                validation-api-1.0.0.GA.jar
                vecmath-1.3.2.jar
                xercesImpl-2.7.1.jar
                xml-apis-1.0.b2.jar
                xml-apis-xerces-2.7.1.jar
                xsd-2.2.2.jar

Comment

I'm not sure off hand what is going on, this is something we will need to reproduce and investigate further. Would you please open a bug report?
                  https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/INSIGHT

Comment

JDBC Analysis with JDBC Driver located in servers lib directory

Originally posted by sandrews View Post
                    This is a fairly common issue. Odds are the JDBC driver your using is located in the server's lib directory. Try moving it into the webapp's lib directory.

While running with a JDBC driver inside a WAR is not recommended for a production application, it's ok at development time. We're looking to address this issue in an upcoming release.
                    Hello,
                    would be great if it will be possible to use JDBC driver located in the server's lib directory. Because I canīt use JNDI lookup when moving the JDBC driver to the webapp's lib directory and have to provide a different dataSource config in Spring-ApplicationContext.

Is there a roadmap when you plan to provide this feature?

Best reagards
                    Saemmy

Comment

@saemmy

Have you tried Milestone 3? It supports JDBC drivers in the server lib. Let us know if you still have issues.

Comment

@sandrews

Yes, I tried Spring Insight 1.0.0.M3.SR02 but nothing changed. I copied oracle10g.jar into tcServers\lib and in my webapp I use Hibernate and JNDI to access the datasource.

The analysis of SQL is still missing.

Comment

Please give our new 1.0.0.RELEASE a spin -- this should work fine on all platforms.

Comment

Iīm sorry, tried the new Version 1.0.0 with tcServer 2.1 but got the same result: there is no tracing of the SQL when Oracle JDBC driver is located in the tcServer/lib directory.

Comment

Working...
                            X