X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insight for non Spring applications

I probably know the answer to this already, but just curious as I haven't fully tested my applications yet with Insight. Since Insight relies on AOP which I don't have too much experience in yet, will the trace history only give me a complete breakdown for Spring based applications? ie, it won't give me a full breakdown of an application written in Struts? I'm assuming the answer to this question is yes.

Spring Insight instruments a few general points (such as JDBC methods and top-level entry of a web request). Other points are Spring specific. So while Spring Insight will work fine with non-Spring applications, you won't get as detailed information.

-Ramnivas

Comment

That's pretty well what I figured. Makes a lot of sense.

Btw, I've been looking to get my hands dirty with Spring and Hibernate since the old Struts 1 applications I'm maintaining are using straight JDBC with no kind of ORM framework. Does your new book provide good coverage of Spring and Hibernate, alongside AOP? Or should I get a good understanding of Hibernate first?

thanks.

Comment

My books focuses on AOP (AspectJ and Spring AOP). It uses JPA , Hibernate, etc technologies to show how to use AOP with those. However, I _won't_ recommend you "AspectJ in Action" book to learn those technologies.

-Ramnivas

Comment

Here are my 2 questions:
          1. how soon will Spring Insight publish the extension points API? I assume that's the only way to make Spring Insight generally useful and I'm pretty sure you've already thought about it.
          2. what will be the (business) model for Spring Insight?

I am asking these questions now as I'm looking for a solution in this space. There is an alternative solution and so I'd like to weigh my options here.

tia,

./alex

Comment

Alex,

We currently have internal discussion going on around this topic. I will update you as soon as I have some "insight".

-Ramnivas

Comment

Please do keep me informed as soon as you have any kind of news.

Much appreciated,

./alex

Comment

Hi Alex,

We are looking to ship a beta by the end of January 2010. The beta will have a published PDK to allow easy creation of plugins for Insight. As far as the business goals, Insight is currently shipped with tc server developer edition which will remain free. Stay tuned for the beta -- we would definitely love some feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X