X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems using Burlap JMX in Tomcat

I am using Tomcat 5.5.9 as my container & Spring 1.2.5. I'm trying to use Burlap as my JMX protocol (I don't have any particular affinity for that protocol, I'd just like to have some remoting protocol for my JMX interface ...) I added the mx4j 3.0.1 jars to my WEB-INF/lib directory, and the following serverConnector to my Application Context:

<bean id="serverConnector" class="org.springframework.jmx.support.ConnectorSe rverFactoryBean">
    <property name="objectName" value="connector:name=burlap"/>
    <property name="serviceUrl" value="service:jmx:burlap://localhost:9874"/>
    </bean>

When I tried to start Tomcat, the following occurred:

Exception in thread "JMX Connector Thread [service:jmx:burlap://localhost:9874]"
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/mortbay/jetty/Server
    at mx4j.tools.remote.http.jetty.JettyWebContainer.<in it>(JettyWebContainer.java:36)

So I added the Jar's from Jetty 5.1.4. (The javax.servlet.jar from Jetty "offended" Tomcat, so it was not loaded). When I ran my JMX client, I received an IO exception - HTTP response code 500. The server side error was:

WARN : Error for /
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/caucho/hessian/io/SerializerFactory
    at mx4j.tools.remote.caucho.burlap.BurlapServlet.crea teCauchoInput(BurlapServlet.java:51)

So then I added the resin 3.0.14 Jar's to give the required SerializerFactory. Tomcat then ceased to load my servlet:

Sep 29, 2005 9:44:32 PM org.apache.catalina.util.ExtensionValidator validateManifestResources
    INFO: ExtensionValidator[/test][resin.jar]: Required extension "javax.servlet" not found.
    Sep 29, 2005 9:44:32 PM org.apache.catalina.util.ExtensionValidator validateManifestResources
    INFO: ExtensionValidator[/test]: Failure to find 1 required extension(s).
    Sep 29, 2005 9:44:32 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
    SEVERE: Error getConfigured

I've scoured the web, and found many references to how simple it is to use burlap, but I haven't experienced that yet. It's such rough sledding that I must be doing something wrong ... can anyone help?

Thanks.

There are some classloading issues in your case. First of all the burlap and hessian protocols do not depends on a certain HTTP implementation, it's the MX4j that hooks up with the jetty implementation (see HTTPConnectorServer from where you can actually plug in your implementation).
    Anyway you don't need to add the resin jar into tomcat but only the hessian and burlap jars.

If you still have troubles, search the mx4j lists - they should provide an answer. If you don't find anything, post your stacktrace and your tomcat library structure.

Comment

Working...
    X