X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMX App Start/Stop AppContext

Is there a class in the spring distribution with a main method that will start up an app context using one or more xml files provided as arguments? Better yet, is there something like this that also provides a jmx option to shutdown the app context?

My app context uses a ScheduledExecutorFactoryBean to create and start a ScheduledExecutorService so all my main method does right now is create the app context. I'd like to remove the class I wrote and use something provided in the spring distribution if it exists. I'm also looking to add a jmx option to shutdown the app context to stop the app gracefully.

I'm fairly new to Spring and apologize if this has been discussed on this forum in other posts. I have tried searching but haven't found what I am looking for.

I am currently using the following solution. It works, but the client application that shuts down the main app via JMX throws stack traces. The client app calls close() on the main app's appContext and while the appContext shuts down the JMX connection is broken. I am not sure how to get around this.

The main application:
    Code:
    public class AppStart {
    	public static void main(String args[]) {
    		new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext(args).registerShutdownHook();
    	}
    }
    The main application's jmx settings:
    Code:
    <beans>

<bean id="appShutdownSupport"
    		class="my.own.class.ApplicationShutdownSupport" />

<bean id="serverConnector"
    		class="org.springframework.jmx.support.ConnectorServerFactoryBean"
    		depends-on="mbeanServer">
    		<property name="daemon" value="true" />
    	</bean>

<bean id="mbeanServer"
    		class="org.springframework.jmx.support.MBeanServerFactoryBean" />

<!-- this bean must not be lazily initialized if the exporting is to happen -->
    	<bean id="exporter"
    		class="org.springframework.jmx.export.MBeanExporter"
    		lazy-init="false">
    		<property name="beans">
    			<map>
    				<entry key="bean:name=appShutdownSupport"
    					value-ref="appShutdownSupport" />
    			</map>
    		</property>
    	</bean>

</beans>
    The ApplicationShutdownSupport bean implementation:
    Code:
    public class ApplicationShutdownSupport extends ApplicationObjectSupport implements DisposableBean {

public boolean isContextRequired() {
    		return true;
    	}

public void initApplicationContext() {
    		if (!(getApplicationContext() instanceof ConfigurableApplicationContext)) {
    			throw new RuntimeException("Unsupported context type: "+
    				getApplicationContext().getClass());
    		}
    	}

public void destroy() throws Exception {
    		if (((ConfigurableApplicationContext)getApplicationContext()).isActive()) {
    			((ConfigurableApplicationContext)getApplicationContext()).close();
    		}
    	}
    }
    The client app to stop the main app:
    Code:
    public class AppStop {
    	public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception {
    		AbstractApplicationContext ctx =
    			new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext(args);
    		ctx.registerShutdownHook();
    		((DisposableBean)ctx.getBean("appShutdownSupportProxy")).destroy();
    	}
    }
    The client jmx configuration:
    Code:
    <beans>

<bean id="clientConnector"
    		class="org.springframework.jmx.support.MBeanServerConnectionFactoryBean">
    		<property name="serviceUrl"
    			value="service:jmx:jmxmp://localhost:9875" />
    	</bean>

<bean id="appShutdownSupportProxy"
    		class="org.springframework.jmx.access.MBeanProxyFactoryBean">
    		<property name="objectName"
    			value="bean:name=appShutdownSupport" />
    		<property name="proxyInterface"
    			value="org.springframework.beans.factory.DisposableBean" />
    		<property name="server" ref="clientConnector" />
    	</bean>

</beans>
    The stacktraces thrown are:
    Code:
    May 29, 2008 9:56:24 AM ClientCommunicatorAdmin restart
    WARNING: Failed to restart: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
    javax.management.remote.generic.ConnectionClosedException: The connection has been closed by the server.
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.generic.ClientSynchroMessageConnectionImpl.close(ClientSynchroMessageConnectionImpl.java:343)
    	at javax.management.remote.generic.GenericConnector.close(GenericConnector.java:276)
    	at javax.management.remote.generic.GenericConnector.close(GenericConnector.java:231)
    	at javax.management.remote.generic.ClientIntermediary$GenericClientCommunicatorAdmin.doStop(ClientIntermediary.java:839)
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.opt.internal.ClientCommunicatorAdmin.restart(ClientCommunicatorAdmin.java:133)
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.opt.internal.ClientCommunicatorAdmin.gotIOException(ClientCommunicatorAdmin.java:34)
    	at javax.management.remote.generic.GenericConnector$RequestHandler.execute(GenericConnector.java:622)
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.generic.ClientSynchroMessageConnectionImpl$RemoteJob.run(ClientSynchroMessageConnectionImpl.java:528)
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.opt.util.ThreadService$ThreadServiceJob.run(ThreadService.java:208)
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.opt.util.JobExecutor.run(JobExecutor.java:59)
    May 29, 2008 9:56:25 AM ClientIntermediary close
    INFO: java.io.IOException: The connection is not currently established.
    java.io.IOException: The connection is not currently established.
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.generic.ClientSynchroMessageConnectionImpl.checkState(ClientSynchroMessageConnectionImpl.java:577)
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.generic.ClientSynchroMessageConnectionImpl.sendOneWay(ClientSynchroMessageConnectionImpl.java:162)
    	at javax.management.remote.generic.GenericConnector.close(GenericConnector.java:260)
    	at javax.management.remote.generic.GenericConnector.close(GenericConnector.java:231)
    	at javax.management.remote.generic.ClientIntermediary$GenericClientCommunicatorAdmin.doStop(ClientIntermediary.java:839)
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.opt.internal.ClientCommunicatorAdmin.restart(ClientCommunicatorAdmin.java:133)
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.opt.internal.ClientCommunicatorAdmin.gotIOException(ClientCommunicatorAdmin.java:34)
    	at javax.management.remote.generic.GenericConnector$RequestHandler.execute(GenericConnector.java:622)
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.generic.ClientSynchroMessageConnectionImpl$RemoteJob.run(ClientSynchroMessageConnectionImpl.java:528)
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.opt.util.ThreadService$ThreadServiceJob.run(ThreadService.java:208)
    	at com.sun.jmx.remote.opt.util.JobExecutor.run(JobExecutor.java:59)
    I dont really see a way around the stack traces and they dont really bother me since the main app does get shut down properly.

Basically I was hoping to get rid of my own AppStart, AppStop, and ApplicationShutdownSupport code and use something from the spring distribution if it exists.
    Last edited by netb0y; May 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM. Reason: updated ApplicationShutdownSupport code

Comment

Working...
    X