Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing several identical applications via JMX

Hi,
    I've a java application that I intend to deploy on many machines. I don't have much experience of using JMX in a serious way. I need a way to expose certain properties of the application for remote management by an administrator. I'd like if someone with extensive JMX experience could tell me whether JMX is good at scaling to allow a single person to manager many (possibly hundreds) of identical applications running on seperate computers, or is it only good at managing a single instance of an application?
    I can provide more info if required.
    Thanks
    Denis

I don't think the technology prevents managing many applications at once, but I'm not aware of any tools that would help you do that for standalone java apps (someone else might be, so don't take my word for it). It may be an interesting problem, and Spring would definitely help, using the JMX client proxying features.

A couple of observations: I guess if you are thinking of hundreds of applications you will be more interested in the management than the monitoring side of JMX. What would you do if not all the apps you can manage are alive at any given time, wait for the missing ones, queue a management request for when they come back, etc? If you have quite simple management beans it might be easy for you to code something (e.g. command-line based utility) that would be tailored to your particular application.

Comment

This kind of clustering is usually a feature of the management application (if supported) rather than the application being managed. JConsole (which comes with Java 5 or 6) doesn't have this feature. There is an open source management application called jManage which does. I assume high-end (expensive) management applications like HP Open View also do this, although I haven't tried.

Comment

Working...
      X