X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NotificationBroadcastSupport with Spring's JMX

I have started using Spring's JMX wiring mechanism and everything works fine with the exception of a class that extends javax.management.NotificationBroadcasterSupport.

When using the very cool and convenient wiring as follows;
    <bean id="ebsMonitorHighErrorTranslator" class="com.ebs.commons.management.EBSMonitorHighEr rorTranslator" init-method="init">
    <property name="monitors">
    <list>
    <ref bean="overallLatencyHighMonitor"/>
    <ref bean="overallLatencyAvgMonitor"/>
    </list>
    </property>
    </bean>

<entry key="${jmx_domain_name}:adapter=MonitorHighErrorAd apter" value-ref="ebsMonitorHighErrorTranslator"/>

No MBeanNotificationInfo is surfaced to any JMX Client and the notifications never get broadcast.

When I change to the boorish and brute force method of creating a home grown proxy for the bean and manually registering it with the MBeanServer all works fine and well.

<bean id="ebsMonitorHighErrorTranslator" class="com.ebs.commons.management.EBSMonitorHighEr rorTranslator" init-method="init">
    <property name="monitors">
    <list>
    <ref bean="overallLatencyHighMonitor"/>
    <ref bean="overallLatencyAvgMonitor"/>
    </list>
    </property>
    </bean>

<bean id="ebsMonitorHighErrorTranslatorMBean" class="com.ebs.commons.management.AnnotatedStandar dEmitterMBean">
    <constructor-arg index="0" ref="ebsMonitorHighErrorTranslator"/>
    <constructor-arg index="1" value="javax.management.NotificationEmitter"/>
    </bean>

<bean id="HighErrorTxName" class="javax.management.ObjectName" factory-method="getInstance">
    <constructor-arg value="${jmx_domain_name}:adapter=MonitorHighError Adapter"/>
    </bean>

<bean class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.Me thodInvokingFactoryBean">
    <property name="targetObject" ref="mbeanServer"/>
    <property name="targetMethod" value="registerMBean"/>
    <property name="arguments">
    <list>
    <ref bean="ebsMonitorHighErrorTranslatorMBean"/>
    <ref bean="HighErrorTxName"></ref>
    </list>
    </property>
    </bean>

Having had a similar experience with a previous project, before Springís JMX support was available, I am wondering if perhaps the same bug that plagued me then is causing this problem in Spring.

Sunís implementation of StandardMBean has a problem when used with JMXNotifications. See supplied link http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view...bug_id=6252526

In the supplied sample Spring configuration, my class, com.ebs.commons.management.AnnotatedStandardEmitte rMBean is an implementation of the suggested bug fix that understands J2SE 5.0 annotations.

My question is, does there exist a Spring based work around for this problem, or am I chasing a non-existent problem through my own ignorance on using Spring and JMX?

Thanx
    -jay-
    [email protected]
Working...
X